GOP Sen. Apologizes To Black Voters For Giving ‘Perception’ Of Trying To Delegitimize Their Votes

Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) sort of apologized to Black Oklahomans in a letter obtained by the Tulsa World on Thursday for participating in Republican lawmakers’ effort to overturn the election on President Donald Trump’s behalf.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354818
2 Likes

Perception? BS.

That is all.

28 Likes

“What I did not realize was all of the national conversation about states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, was seen as casting doubt on the validity of votes coming out of predominantly Black communities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit,” he wrote.

This is what happens when your only news source is Fox or OAN.

39 Likes

Just put one foot in front of the other and soon you’ll be walking out the (Senate) door.

9 Likes

Shut up

7 Likes

Sorry. Not good enough.

16 Likes

As long as the unaware American electorate either doesn’t realize that was exactly the intent, or doesn’t care, this kind of garbage will go on.

12 Likes

No backsies.
It’s impossible to believe that anyone of his stature wasn’t fully aware of what they were doing and what its implications and consequences would be.
He can suck it up and live with it.

20 Likes

Vote for conviction. Then maybe we can talk.

37 Likes

This is just another Republican offering yet another non-apology apology. He must be planning to run for POTUS because his comments would play well with the majority of Okies.

16 Likes

Poor thing. And he can’t even blame Paul Manafort for giving all the voter demographics information to the Russian security services.

2 Likes

Lunkford must be seeing some scary polling. Only thing a Republican responds to. That, and money.

26 Likes

Anyone this clueless should not be in a position of power (yeah, I know). He knew, just never thought he’d have to apologize for it it.

I wonder how much his money train was derailed.

20 Likes

Ignorance is bliss.

It’s the Republican way.

3 Likes

“What I did not realize was all of the national conversation about states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, was seen as casting doubt on the validity of votes coming out of predominantly Black communities … "

Translation: I’m a hack.

8 Likes

Lankford grew up in the Oklahoma racist community and learned fear and hatred from his family and friends. He really can’t help his blindness to the non-white population of America. That said, I do not doubt for a second that he knew damn well minority voter suppression was going to be the GOP strategy before the election started.

12 Likes

We have to hope that this truly is his “I was blind but now I see” moment.

2 Likes

We apologize for giving you the perception of disenfranchising you
We’ve learned our lesson
We won’t be so obvious in the future

29 Likes

Let me just fire up the Republican-Translator-O-Matic:

“I apologize that you uppity folk were too stupid to realize what I’m now pretending were my actual intentions.”

6 Likes

When everyone in the room says you are drunk, sit down.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available