GOP Reps Objected To Nikole Hannah-Jones’ Hiring In Letter To UNC Chancellor | Talking Points Memo

Two congressional Republicans objected to the hiring of a New York Times reporter to a university professorship because of her work on the Times’ “1619 Project,” newly public documents reveal. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1383403
2 Likes

Racist and stupid. Unbelievable. Well done people purportedly representing your constituents: you cost your flagship University a flagship professor.

36 Likes

Thereby showing why the 1619 Project needs to be taught.

62 Likes

Exactly: as someone else has said, nothing shows institutional racism more clearly than banning the teaching of institutional racism

58 Likes

It always baffles me when people publicly exhibit their stupidity and bigotry so proudly.

26 Likes

Ms./Rep Foxx is truly one to talk. Seriously just google Rep Virginia Foxx crazy quotes

Not that I like the hill after the whole ex John Solomon thing but there is this

This should not be casting stones, seriously . . . oh, and I thought you guys wanted a diversity of thought on campus, right?

14 Likes

My Bro and family lived in NC for a while. I never visited them because I didn’t want to get close to this sort of fucked up racist attitude. They didn’t like it much either but he was transferred there to fix things. He did that and got the fuck out, back to Europe.

They survived more or less intact. My Bro did take up golf to fit in but that was an aberration.

12 Likes

Sort of OT, sort of:
Zimmer Biomet, the largest employer in Kosciusko County, Indiana, sent a letter to the county commissioners, who had been having a hissy about teaching CRT in schools (because it might make white kids feel bad), saying, politely–I paraphrase–such language from public officials made it difficult for them to recruit the kind of people they need to maintain their operation.
The commissioners told them to go pound sand.
If your next replacement joint is stamped Made in China you know who to blame.

27 Likes

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you.

Virginia Foxx

Fool her three times and the world is your oyster.

13 Likes

In a press release last year announcing the “Campus Free Speech Restoration Act,” Murphy said, “The right to free speech outlined in the First Amendment is perhaps the most important mechanism of our republic. A free and open public square to debate ideas is a hallmark of any healthy and functioning democracy.

Two congressional Republicans objected to the hiring of a New York Times reporter to a university professorship because of her work on the Times’ “1619 Project,” newly public documents reveal.

I’m sure the two statements are completely disconnected in their own disconnected minds.

20 Likes

“Her portrayals of ‘White America’ are purposely divisive, a characteristic that objectively questions her ability to lead a program at UNC,” the members of Congress wrote in a letter dated May 5. “In a time when we should bring people together, this hire represents division.”

People who supported an insurrection and the overturning of a legitimate election are worried about division? Spare me.

Though I should hasten to point out it’s not her work that’s divisive, it’s the conclusions -legitimately derived -that they can’t abide.

Some people really can’t handle the truth.

30 Likes

For these people, freedom of religion means forcing their extreme right wing version of Christianity onto everyone, and freedom of speech means you’re only allowed to say what they agree with and deserve punishment otherwise. It’s amazing that they misunderstand the clear intent of the founders and wording of the Constitution…it’s imperative they never get the chance to force the rest of us to live in their skewed vision of America.

22 Likes

What’s next from the “journalists” at the New York Times and left-leaning “historians”? Allegations that Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and had sex with one of them? /s

17 Likes

Amazing how the GOP uses, “free speech”, as a means to stifle debate. Truly Hilary had it right they are deplorable.

11 Likes

The congresscritters wrote

“In a time when we should bring people together, this hire represents division.”

Oh fer cryin’ out loud their political existence depends on division. Having no policy agenda that would actually benefit their constituents, these cretins could never win an election without the votes of the hard-core haters whose delusions and resentments they stoke at every opportunity. I get so damned tired of hearing demented drivel the only appropriate response to which is shrieking truisms like this post. Gotta get my shit together because this is a sign that they’re winning.

14 Likes

College is too late.

15 Likes

I would say it was an absurd understatement

12 Likes

Foxx is the very personification of “devoid of diverse thought.” Or any thought for that matter.

17 Likes

Foxx looks old enough to been on the scene in 1619.

7 Likes

"Virginia Foxx (R-NC) and Greg Murphy (R-NC) said they objected to the hiring of Times reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones in part because they said the journalist’s work was “purposefully divisive.”

I object to Foxx and Murphy’s work as being “purposely divisive and full of shit”.

14 Likes