GOP Rep. Reed Announces He Won’t Seek Reelection After Sexual Misconduct Allegation

Rep. Tom Reed (R-NY), who recently floated a potential campaign against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), announced on Sunday night that he would neither run for governor nor seek reelection in 2022 after a lobbyist accused him of sexual misconduct.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1365959
2 Likes

He’s yet another Problem Solvers Caucus member.
Now our Tom Reed Problem is solved…

6 Likes

GOPster takes the blame and resigns over sexual misconduct? Stop the presses!

23 Likes

I don’t know where to go with this…Good for him? I guess what is circling in my brain is that UNTIL he was viably accused he thought he could run against someone that he denigrated and mocked for doing the same thing and hoping nobody would remember what HE had done?

15 Likes

Spoken like a man who knows that much more and worse are on the way.

39 Likes

getting smaller

btw, the NY GOP haven’t talked about their other 2022 problem.

8 Likes

“Simply put, my behavior caused her pain, showed her disrespect and was unprofessional,” Reed said. “I was wrong, I am sorry, and I take full responsibility.”

He needs to take lessons from others, and learn how to issue a non-apology apology. This one was much too straightforward. It’s almost as if he’s never been in politics!

18 Likes

How many is this now not running again in 2022? Here’s hoping we can add a few more Dems.

4 Likes

That seemed to be the opinion last night. Much worse is coming. Either way, he’s done after the next election. My sister and BIL were pretty happy when I told them last night.

He used to be the mayor of Corning, NY.

15 Likes

“I vehemently deny every one of these vile, unfounded accusations of sexual misconduct, and I vow to fight on as long as I have a brea…wait, what? More shit is gonna hit the fan? Oh, well.”

“I have decided to retire in order to spend more time with my wonderful family.”

11 Likes

When do we get to hear about The Great Glass-Blowing Incident of 2008? It’s only a matter of time…

6 Likes

Zeldin is still considering running for Governor.

The problem is that the state party have to win in the boroughs.

They have a possible candidate (Pataki), but like the rest, he’s tainted by his (indirect/direct) association with Trump.

3 Likes

George Pataki? He was already governor.

4 Likes

There aren’t all that many NY republicans eligible to run, most of them are ex-cons or under investigation. Bench is pretty thin there.

9 Likes

Hmm… “I’m powerless over alcohol, but I didn’t see a problem running for Governor. Also, I’m not going to step aside immediately and let someone who has power over alcohol represent my district.”

6 Likes

It’s talk right now, but i like his chances more than i like Zeldin’s.

2 Likes

Exactly my first reaction to this too.

8 Likes

hahaha! Good luck winning New York City. Anyway, things are better this year, so he can cool his jets.
Wasn’t he governor on 9/11?

4 Likes

GOP politicians are always worried about NYC…they’re worried it’s still there, mostly.

10 Likes

I much prefer Helga Pataki…

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available