GOP Rep Opposes Juneteenth As Federal Holiday Because Of Outrage Over Critical Race Theory | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-MT) on Wednesday announced his opposition to making Juneteenth a federal holiday as the House gears up for its vote to commemorate the end of slavery in the U.S.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378022

“create a day out of whole cloth”

Yeah… that’s what they did.

Putz

10 Likes

He seems nice.

4 Likes

Definitely good neighbor material!

3 Likes

They must have a contest today among the GOP Senators and Reps. The one who says, writes, or announces the most outrageously offensive thing wins something…either a trip to Mar a Lago or an excuse not to go there.
I generally try to limit my cursing to vulgarity, but these people are driving me toward profanity.
And BTW, @justruss, creating out of whole cloth is what they do best. That’s what happened with CRT. You would think they would give a hat tip.

6 Likes

Republicans really do have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

7 Likes

Seems like the 14 (so far, but only 4 R votes left to be cast) republicans voting against this are going to find themselves very much on the wrong side of what is going to be an overwhelmingly popular holiday.

8 Likes

Huh? They’ve got racism, bigotry, misogyny, the list goes on and on.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Interesting that even MTG didn’t vote against it.

5 Likes

And what kind of politics are you celebrating, Rep. Rosendale? Aren’t you and your white GQP cronies all playing the longest game of identity politics in history?

7 Likes

He hasn’t been the same since Tester beat him.

4 Likes

Several House conservatives rose Wednesday to lodge objections based on the formal name of the bill creating the holiday, the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act. That, they said would detract from the significance of July 4, and one member, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), said it would “create confusion and push Americans to pick one of those two days as their independence day based on their racial identity.”

I guess that’s why we now have Presidents’ Day so people don’t have to choose between Washington and Lincoln.

11 Likes

Its an image revamp

5 Likes

This is not controversial. Why is this guy being given any media time.

Forty-eight states — which includes Rosendale’s home state of Montana — currently recognize Juneteenth as a state or ceremonial holiday.

5 Likes

… Rosendale said. “Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no.” –emphasis added

Hmmmmm, seems like commemorating a day that indeed made all Americans “free” in the same way WOULD be uniting. (And yes, I know that the proclamation was limited and didn’t REALLY change de facto 2nd class citizenship.)

6 Likes

So we know who the overt racists are.

9 Likes

Maybe she’s trying to do what is necessary to be let out of the penalty box. Being stripped of committee assignments and having faced censure in an institution she’s likely to be in for at least the next year and a half might just be providing her a little perspective on how to work with others? Call me an optimist.

6 Likes

I have only just dipped a toe in the CRT waters. I am not sure about it at all. But I am positive this Rep as with all of them have not even done that much. The following article quotation is something I agree with. Otherwise I am not even on the fence. More in the “there is field over there and there is a fence around it” mode.

“It’s crucial to pay attention to the threadbare motivations behind this — which are political marketing, self promotion and monetizing racism,” Thomas said. “This is a case where they’re trying to make money by selling racism under the guise of these anti-CRT initiatives.”

6 Likes

At least he didn’t say “Let’s call a spade a spade.” But he’s still an asshole’s asshole.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available