GOP Rep Opposes Juneteenth As Federal Holiday Because Of Outrage Over Critical Race Theory | Talking Points Memo

“Let’s call an ace an ace

What does that remind me of? Hmm. Just can’t figure. OH, right. I think this is what you’re looking for, Rosendale.

5 Likes

Same. Parts of it really are critical to removing some of the whitewashing of history most of us grew up with in school curriculums, but as with anything designed by people with agendas from either side of the spectrum, there’s that overreach part of trying to make it a core thing rather than one factor, albeit significant, amongst many.

5 Likes

The TPM article is about the mischaracterization of CRT. There’s a decent article on the subtance of CRT here:

What Is Critical Race Theory and Why Are People So Upset About It?

4 Likes

Ace sounds like a ‘euphemism’ in this context.

7 Likes

If “slavery is bad” doesn’t unite us then we’re going to have to dig pretty deep for what does, Matty boy. So how about a holiday about how much pleasanter it is not to have really cold feet unless it’s sweltering hot out and you get to put them in cool water and that feels good, so maybe it’s complicated? Just tell us what to focus on. How about National Shave Your Neck Hair Because That’s Weird and Gross? Do we all agree on that with certain notable exceptions? This unity thing is harder than you’d think if you were a representative from Montana!

7 Likes

Where did he come up with this call ace an ace stuff?
I just stupidly recall the expression being let’s call a spade a spade.
Or is he concerned that his support for white supremacy will be exposed by his using the actual term?

5 Likes

I recall the saying using spades. I think that he made his point clear, though

5 Likes

Making spectacles of racists is helpful

1 Like

Earlier Wednesday, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) announced that the chamber will take up legislation to make Juneteenth a federal holiday, following the Senate’s unanimous passage of its resolution to commemorate the end of slavery in the country.

Hmmmmmmm, it was actually passed by unanimous consent. I realize that with no objections it is technically “unanimous” but that let a lot of senators off the hook of having to actually register their vote for or against.

3 Likes

Just a guess here that Rep. Rosendale hasn’t a clue what critical race theory is but by gawd he knows he is against it. Sadly, there are members of congress who cannot name the three branches of government -Tommy Tuberville anyone? My expectations are so low but now, teaching history needs to make students feel good. Let’s not bore them with the actual facts.

7 Likes
  • Rep. Andrew Clyde refused to shake hands with Michael Fanone, a DC police officer who was assaulted on Jan. 6.
  • Two members of Congress shared Fanone’s story on Tuesday via Twitter.
  • “Fanone introduced himself as ‘someone who fought to defend the Capitol’ and put out his hand,” Rep. Eric Swalwell tweeted.
8 Likes

I’m amused and pleased to see how much Yiddish slang is cropping up lately. Are you all Johnny Carson? Fact is, it’s a wonderful language for derision.

6 Likes

Who cares? This was an extremely deft move by the Dems. Totally out of left field, The Senate opened the door with a slick move, the House immediately added it to their agenda the very next day to slam it through before any opposition could be mounted.

We just witnessed a very historical and significant moment (last time a Federal Holiday was established was MLK day all the way back in 1983), and it was political gold work to ram it through.

13 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes

Surely you’re wrong. The feckless Dems have no feck. It must have happened some other way.

4 Likes

This is so perfect. Thanks for posting.

3 Likes

It never gelled before but Groucho was a huge Gilbert and Sullivan fan and you can see some similarities here to their patter songs.

5 Likes

I think he really wanted to say “Let’s call a spade a spade”…

I guess I wasn’t the only one who thought that.

3 Likes

Odds are he headed himself off at the pass with that little “ace” save. But he got the nod-nod wink-wink in there.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available