GOP PA Gubernatorial Candidate Under Investigation For Crash That Killed Motorcyclist | Talking Points Memo

Sounds like a good song title. Anyway, I just read they pulled the car over several miles from where the construction crew saw it. Motorcycle still stuck in the car. It’s of course impossible the guy wasn’t totally plastered. State boys still investigating. Ten bucks to your favorite charity—a legal one, please, no revolutionaries who’ll go out and buy C-4 with it—if he’s not charged with DUI and vehicular homicide. @left_in_washington_state, I didn’t know this guy’s name but he’s a wheel in GOP politics. He’s 66, a communications guy, probably figured now or never. I guess it’s looking like never.

52 Likes

It sure as hell seemed to have tried to go his way though. A lot about that situation and investigation was totally sketchy, starting with “whenever I run down pedestrians while I’m on the phone, I call my sheriff buddy and he lets me borrow his car to get home and then nobody looks for the body until morning.”

35 Likes

Simple, he thought it was a deer. No harm no foul…and always remember IOKIYAR

8 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

We have questions of the “serious” PA state police.

Why was no statement made whether a field sobriety test was administered? Is that proper protocol in cases involving drivers without such a high profile?

The bizarre circumstances of this accident seemed to have demanded that a sobriety test be administered? Was one administered? Was a sobriety test refused? Doesn’t the refusal result in an immediate arrest?

7 Likes

“So, you know, like any normal reasonable person would, I just kept driving for several miles with my view occluded by a motorcycle stuck to my hood and all the sparks it was throwing everywhere…as one does…”

21 Likes

He just figured he hit a heavily laden African Swallow.

35 Likes

Wikipedia says Politics Magazine or something named him one of the most influential GOPers in PA in 2010. I will not be surprised if this goes all the way to “the charges are excessive and part of a political witch hunt by Democrats trying to remove their most feared opponent in the governor’s race…”

16 Likes

My prediction is that Dem AG Shapiro will win Gov. He is well liked in this state, and won both his AG elections in Trump years. Doesn’t matter so much who the R is.

19 Likes

They always use the Bart Simpson defense: “I didn’t do it.” Remember this from February 2021?

" PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota state attorney general who is facing misdemeanor charges for striking and killing a man is facing impeachment charges and calls to resign after disturbing new details about the case were made public.

The A.G., Jason Ravnsborg, initially told police he’d thought he’d struck a deer in the September, 2020 incident and that he didn’t discover he’d hit a person until he return the scene of the accident the next day.

In interviews made public by Gov. Kristi Noem on Tuesday, investigators suggested to Ravnsborg that he should have known better, because the dead man’s broken glasses were found inside his Ford Taurus.

“His face was in your windshield, Jason, think about that,” one of the investigators told him in the interview.

24 Likes

Go look up what’s normal procedure in this kind of incident and leave me out of it. I live here, I’ve dealt with these guys personally and professionally, and in my experience they’re very professional and no-nonsense. I’ve already got a bet going that he was tested and will almost certainly be charged with a number of serious crimes when the investigation’s done.

40 Likes

Mercedes 300? White? DUI? Vehicular Manslaughter?

He’ll walk…

3 Likes

I heard him speak at a local Dem headquarters. Very, very dynamic speaker. Makes an excellent impression on the trail, I’m sure.

27 Likes

I just logged into my Wikipedia account to check it, and saw your changes.

10 Likes

It’s because of this that I thought you might have some insight into the actions of the “serious” PA state police in this particular case.

I see now that you don’t. Sorry.

Gives new meaning to the term “front runner”

12 Likes

Wait, you live in PA? I always thought you were Matt the Indiana dad. :wink:

33 Likes

I’m waiting for the "I thought it was a hood ornament’ defense.

This guy is a lawyer and a ‘spin doctor’.

This will be interesting . .

21 Likes

Does it keep a history of changes so one would be able to see it go back and forth if they change it again?

4 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you. I’m quite expert in what I don’t know, I’ll say that much, and it’s my observation that puts me ahead of quite a few folks.

31 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available