GOP Guvs Brush Off Overturn Of Roe

Yes, thank you for your posting upthread.

1 Like

Rhetoric. That’s all the Democratic Party has. For nearly 50 years Republicans have crowed that this is what they would do. And for 50 years, Democrats have done NOTHING to fight against their machinations. From the Hyde Amendment to Obama’s shrug when it came to making abortion rights a priority, they’ve either blustered or actively been complicit.

SCOTUS owns the key to the entire Great Experiment. There is nothing that can be done that they cannot undo.

Ignorance of Biden’s history–on this issue in particular— is no defense.

I’m well-acquainted with Biden’s history on a lot of major subjects.

Like most really smart people, Biden changes his mind and alters his position when he learns more about the subject.
That’s one of the big reasons I support him whole-heartedly.

4 Likes

He changes his position when its politically convenient. This is the deep rooted problem with the DLC and New Democrats, which have absolutely resulted in Dobbs last week. Their interest is in getting elected and in lip service to their constituents.

As Warren detailed in full, the ONLY way we get out of this mess is for Biden and Congress to expand the courts. It will NOT happen with current Democratic leadership. For the same reason they will not act under their current government trifecta and remove the filibuster obstacle. They run purely on rhetoric.

And I for one am tired of water carriers like yourself making excuses for a feckless opposition party.

Bless your little heart.

4 Likes

What timeline would that have been exactly? The 49 years that the Religious Right, NOT progressives, told you this would happen?

“There is no difference between Al Gore and George W. Bush.”

1 Like

Quote where I’ve stated anything of the sort. I’ll wait.

Same melody.

1 Like

Oh sure; no doubt, unfortunately.

Not in the slightest. I’ve voted Democratic my entire life. I’ve bought my right to criticize the party with every vote I made since 1988. So I have no idea what strawman you’re tilted against. But it certainly isn’t me.

In all your smug wisdom, answer me just one thing… how exactly do you propose voting our way out of theft of the republic by this conservative court? They’re already on record as stating they intend on unraveling Griswold, Lawrence and Obergefell. Do you seriously think any law, passed through Congress with a Democratic supermajority, is going to stand up to a court that has no compunction determining the law their way? How do you propose fighting the finality of this court?

Followed by:

Maybe I’m ignorant of history, but I recall (from being alive and aware on the day Roe was handed down) that it hasn’t been 50 years, but a lot less – because the GOP didn’t even seize on abortion as a national political issue until the Carter administration (nearing its end) revoked Bob Jones University’s tax-exempt status in reaction to the school’s ban on inter-racial dating.

That (it seems to me, at least) was when the GOP realized it could cobble together so-called “white evangelicals” (the Bob Joneses) with catholics (the anti-choicers) to form a potent Republican religious block from two historically-disparate and mutually-distrustful camps, with racism as the catalyst.

Evidenced, of course, by some of the ugliest racism I’ve ever witnessed, as (mostly) catholic parents in traditionally “liberal” strongholds like Boston (!) attacked school buses full of court-ordered, racially-desegregated children.

(Of course, that doesn’t fit the popularly-perceived mismemory hyped by Republican pols, megachurchers, and corporate journalists, but they’ve got a narrative to sell, by G-d, historical facts be damned!)

3 Likes

There is a strawman.

Let’s say it’s 40 years with Falwell’s involvement. What’s your point?

I don’t have to brandish my bona fides to you, sir. I will continue to criticize my party’s fecklessness without your approval.

Try to do so without ad hominins

To you or to Democratic leadership? Because if you expect the latter, it simply will not happen.

So how are these already (usually) poor states which have often refused Medicaid expansion and have only the most minimal welfare support for families going to deal with thousands of new babies every year? “We’ll match you up with some adoptive family?” Ha.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available