GOP Guvs Brush Off Overturn Of Roe

In the wake of the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) on Sunday shrugged off the dire consequences of the Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade by repeatedly touting that states decide on citizens’ access to abortion.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1421613

So what ever happened to “Patient Centered Care” as an alternative to the big, bad ACA, with the Federal Government interfering with patient medical choices?

It is okay for the State Government to interfere?

Thus providing worse medical outcomes for the patients? With less support?

30 Likes

Noem griped about what she called “sensational pundit commentary”

The basic human rights of half the citizens just got taken away for religious reasons in the supposed greatest country on earth. Kind of a sensational event, methinks. But her emails, right?

38 Likes

In the wake of the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade , Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson ® and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem ® on Sunday shrugged off the dire consequences of the Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade by repeatedly touting that states decide on citizens’ access to abortion.

I have a problem with calling residents of a state citizen of a state. I have a US passport that shows that I’m a US citizen, I don’t have a document stating that I’m a citizen of a state. I think of this especially now in our mobile society.

I’d also like to know if this “financial assistance” that Gov. Noem speaks has caps or durations?

24 Likes

Assa wants to run for President. He’s trying hard to appear moderate and sensible as compared to the competition. He hasn’t been outright terrible like I thought he’d be but at best he’s more of the same. I think he’ll be competitive but I don’t know if he’s hardline enough for today’s GQP.

7 Likes

The whirlwind the GOP and SC have decided to reap is beginning to spin.

11 Likes

Read this and spread it around (via Political Wire). Everything after the “but” will give you plenty to think about, like coming up with plans of action besides bitching about past history.

23 Likes

This isn’t about saving lives, its about imposing control. It’s about limiting others’ bodily autonomy because this is the only place where anyone is making the argument that the state can force a person to do something that saves another “life” (I’m not getting into the question of what constitutes life). The state can’t force you to donate organs, marrow, blood, even if would save the life of hundreds. Forcing a person to carry a pregnancy to term is solely about trying to retain an unearned, unwarranted, and unequal control over others.

38 Likes

Certain posters are putting out really bad ideas for fighting back. We have got to be smart about this.

5 Likes

Absolutely.

On the National level that issue was resolved by The War of Southern Aggression, 1861 - 1865.

The South has chosen to re-fight that war.

16 Likes

Thank you, I’ve noticed people saying “citizen” instead of resident for a couple of years, and it just bugs me. Maybe I learned the difference in civics class.

12 Likes

Until the midterms we have to listen to these rats disavow responsibility for the biggest outrage in my lifetime. Own it, fuckers! It’s yours! You want us to live in a theocratic apartheid state. You just can’t even fucking remember why any more!

All those people gave their lives across the centuries for this?! So 5 weasels in black robes can undermine everything that this country stood for and smirk about it? Hey Roberts, your legacy is the undermining of Western Democracy! No one elected you. Fuck off and die!

26 Likes

What do you suggest?

4 Likes

I got that too. But then anyone who can speak in a calm and reasoned manner as opposed to the yokels that make up AR’s lege…well it doesn’t take much to make one sound like the “sensible” one in room.

3 Likes

Asa Hutchinson has been a dick from day one. Kristi Noem is a fascist in high heels.

15 Likes

“We fought for 50 years to have this returned to the states. We’ve won that battle. It’s back to the states. Let’s let it be resolved there.”

This was also the rationalization for not prohibiting chattel slavery

16 Likes

I have to agree with Josh, Democrats promise to keep fighting. In reality I have not seen them fight at all, They have the Executive and both houses of Congress, and the only ones that seem to be advancing their agendas are the Republicans. Joe Biden has been a disaster, and not for the reasons that Fox News says it’s because he has been unwilling to fight, he has never used the bully pulpit and say it as it is, he is too scared to offend the people that will not ever vote for him, and thus unable to advance the agenda of the people that did vote for him. He has no accomplishments to show, and reducing 10K of student debt, or suspending the 18 cent tax on gas are absolutely ridiculous and stupid proposals.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/vague-promises-on-roe-wont-cut-it

3 Likes

Blah blah blah, its always Dems fault mindset is how we got here. We have one side that is hell bent on enacting their Christian fascist wetdreams and they are very well funded and have the backing of large parts of the media.

16 Likes

And we have another side that are afraid of calling them out because they don’t want to be labeled as radical and being cut of by their corporate donors.

5 Likes

Peaceful protests are going to be continuously disrupted and dangerous, especially in places where cars and trucks can travel freely. Want a blast of teargas? How will you protect yourself? Every single misstep or false flag will be used to negate your protest.
Video evidence had better be everywhere, like it was in RI.

Forewarned is forearmed.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available