GOP Declare War On Biden’s Sweeping Vaccine Mandates | Talking Points Memo

Manchin does not need to help coal, it’s been getting a boost without any help. It’s at a ten year high right now. Natural gas rising to around $5.00 is helping coal prices.

Australian thermal coal at Newcastle Port, the benchmark for the vast Asian market, has climbed 106% this year to more than $166 per metric ton, according to the latest weekly assessment by commodity price provider Argus.

The Newcastle weekly index, which stood at a 2020 low of $46.18 in early September, now appears to be closing in on an all-time high of $195.20 from July 2008.

The resurgence of thermal coal, which is burned to generate electricity, raises serious questions about the so-called “energy transition.”

Last year, our government forecast more power from coal in 2021 and 2022.

As a result of the higher expected natural gas prices, the forecast share of electricity generation from coal rises from 20% in 2020 to about 24% in both 2021and 2022.
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/coal.php

I’m quite partial to hydrogen myself, even blue hydrogen with CCS technology using natural gas. But that seems to be out of the picture with natural gas prices at this level. Of course, green hydrogen is preferable, but not feasible in except in places like California which often has excess solar power from all the residential roof systems. Quite often, they pay Arizona to take it so it won’t overload the grid and cause bigger issues. The rising natural gas prices will be another hammer to pound Biden with. I can see the ads now. If we get a colder than average winter, it could spike further. When people in the Midwest have their heating bills double this winter, people are going to be cranky. It also means propane prices are going to go nuts again.

2 Likes

Not sure what to make of this since the Chinese buying up the Oz coal are the same ones driving hardest toward the transition elsewhere.

1 Like

9 Likes

It’s not just China, demand is up worldwide. The US going from 20% electricity generated from coal to 24% for this year and next is nearly a 20% increase.

3 Likes

NEW: Two weeks ago, Delta announced a $200 monthly surcharge for unvaccinated employees. In that short time, 20% of unvaccinated employees - 4,000 people - got the vaccine.

And the number of employees who quit? Zero.

— Brian Tyler Cohen (@briantylercohen) September 12, 2021
16 Likes

Did you see where a New York hospital will quit delivering babies because so many nurses quit over the vaccine mandate?

4 Likes

Small hospital and 6 nurses quit—and they’re better off without that kind of nurses.

13 Likes

9 Likes

The vaccinated are increasingly fed up with anti-vaxxer selfishness, which as TPM has noted, may be good news for Democrats. Look at the Newsom recall. It appears that Democrats are motivated by this state of affairs.

Support for Newsom increased after he announced vaccine mandates for health care and education workers, another tactic Democrats believe they can scale across the country.

3 Likes

I agree. It ends up being a place where everyone responds to everything. It completely disrupts any flow of comments or topics.

Please. TPM. Rethink this approach. Ask yourself who you want to be going forward, and how do you want to approach it. Given the fact that this year, you moved to Prime Only for comments and access, at an increased rate. What are you offering to the folks (us) that are supporting you?

6 Likes

But, sorry, that is just not a true psychoanalytical couch. It needs a fine, authentic Persian rug on top of the surface. I think the rest is ok. :laughing:

2 Likes

Maybe this is who they want to be.

When they close down or get far less good discussion on their mosh-mosh of stories and questionable editing, they may have achieved their goals.

But most of us will be gone in frustration.

At this point I will commit to staying through the 2022 midterms, which means another year for me to subscribe. If it is still all T**** all the time, reconsideration will be easy.

3 Likes

We need to quit burning coal altogether and jump into natural gas, blue hydrogen and green hydrogen. Both H2 processes can be driven by renewable energy and / or Gen. 4 nuclear power. Coal is freaking killing the climate.

CH4 can produce the same heat with less than 70% of the CO2 as coal. Hydrogen only produces water vapor and a trace of NOx. It burns hotter than coal so it is the perfect fuel for making steel or heating limestone to make Portland cement.

4 Likes

I think it’s more like a shame that these people allowed themselves to get infected with stupid.

Some have little choice because their abilities and up-bringing all but guarantee they will hop on the stupid train; others let themselves get drawn on board.

1 Like
1 Like

Bwhahahaha! Excellent!

Own it, motherfuckers. GOP in KY is doing same thing by banning statewide mask mandates in schools. And Gov. Andy Beshear is handling it exactly correctly, saying, “The GOP legislature now owns this pandemic.”

And there is his 2023 re-election right there.

4 Likes

That is a big jump considering how many coal-exclusive generation sites are spinning down.

It’ll screw our chances of dealing with climate change but give these miners a little longer before reality sets in.

Assuming of them not enough of them will die to make a difference and that the relatives of the dead will blame Biden or Obama or AOC or Bill Gates or anyone but them.

2 Likes

Applause, applause!!!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available