GOP Convention Bars Journalists For The First Time Ever | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON (AP) — The vote to renominate President Donald Trump is set to be conducted in private later this month, without members of the press present, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Convention, citing the coronavirus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1323702
1 Like

Health restrictions?

Sure, Jan.

Can you imagine being that embarrassed for your nominee? Can you imagine being that embarrassed to be seen endorsing your nominee?

112 Likes

Now is the time for the MSM and cable news to stop covering Trump live.
See how that works for Donnie.
Ignore, Ignore, Ignore!

77 Likes

I love how dumb these guys are – remember Romney’s secret meeting where ‘47% of the people are…’?

Making out it’s secret just lets them speak their minds. The horror!

Looking forward to the footage leaking, and the GOP looking even more like what they are: a wealthy cabal propagandizing bigots and zealots.

52 Likes

Sean Hannity? Surely they’re not going to bar Sean Hannity!

33 Likes

So they can all claim it never happened/ it was all a misunderstanding/ they weren’t there.

34 Likes

I hope they serve Reverend Jim Jones’ kool-aid for refreshments.

12 Likes

Imagine being so embarrassed by the people attending your convention that you don’t want the media talking to them. That’s what this is all about – you can certainly accomplish social distancing with 336 voting delegates, and maybe 50-75 reporters.

The GOP’s problem is that the public officials that the press usually focuses on during the convention have already said they aren’t showing up – and the only people who are actually willing to risk their lives at the convention are the real lunatics among the rank and file.

Given that, I’m not sure why any media organization would want to send reporters into this sea of viruses – but hey, Richard Engel seems to thrive in war zones…

46 Likes

I heard the campaign had stopped spending to retool its message.

Looks like “Tail between the legs” is the new path.

17 Likes

Just journalists are being barred. Hannity has no worries.

80 Likes

I suspect OAN will get a last minute invite.

35 Likes

Liquid refreshment while eating your own.Yummy!

2 Likes

So far, the press ban seems to be on the nomination. Who really watches that stuff? It’s not like there’s any suspense, and without all the hoopla of a full-fledged convention, there doesn’t seem to be much to see. More interesting to me will be how he plans to handle the acceptance speech.

14 Likes

Not expecting a unanimous vote !

51 Likes

I was thinking along the same lines. It’s not going to be pretty.

15 Likes

Now, now, they are just concerned for the health of members of the press.

Actually, I bet the press people who were scheduled to attend this are breathing big sighs of relief. Who wants to go to a convention packed with assholes who have no compunction about endangering your life?

59 Likes

Ya gotta admit,this takes care of the " fake news" issue quite handily…no news is good news?" Hopefully, this is todays bullshit bombshell ,but I doubt it…

19 Likes

Just like no tests mean no virus.

31 Likes

Absolutely nothing to do with spreading Covid. This is about hiding what goes on at the “convention”. This guy is screwed and paranoid and wants to keep things secret.
Hey, maybe they’ll nominate someone else and that’s what he’s afraid of.

34 Likes

No Fox swag for you!

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available