GOP Convention Bars Journalists For The First Time Ever | Talking Points Memo

Maybe some enterprising journalists will be able to get someone to wear a recording device just to document what’s going on.
You can count on journalists being outside and some way they will find out what goes on inside.

22 Likes

I bet they’ll establish their own “Convention News Desk” to report all the glorious news about the Dear Leader. (Didn’t they try something that like with Lara Trump back in year one or two of this sad era?)

11 Likes

But then we’ll never know if Melania’s speech was written by Michelle Obama’s speechwriters, or how many times Trump said China Virus in his acceptance speech.

14 Likes

Damn! And I was so looking forward to seeing the attendees on their knees coughing up their lungs and watching blood squirting out of their ears.

What the hell does a guy have to do for a good time nowadays?

17 Likes

That was my first thought. Some sort of protest vote, some controversy serious enough they’d do this unheard-of thing.

31 Likes

“The subset of delegates in Charlotte will be casting proxy votes on behalf of the more than 2,500 official delegates to the convention.”

So how many proxy delegates will actually be there in the flesh?
When they say no press, does that mean no cameras, no speeches?
I’d imagine there will be a live feed, with all the live commentary that entails, right?
No wandering around the convention floor, interviewing magats, sure, but w/o televised spectacle, there’s no point for anybody, even Trump, to show up.

21 Likes

Trump’s hold over the GOP was always based (no pun intended) on his hold on the base. The pathetic crowd in Tulsa, then “postponing” the NH rally, and now this. Someone in Trump’s orbit is smart enough to realize that empty venues and small crowds are not going to help him keep his minions in line.

The unraveling will happen fast. Once weakened, all those he pissed on going up are going to gleefully return the favor when he starts plummeting down. And that must surely include the Murdochs who must be seething with Trump’s OANN boosterism.

31 Likes

What is the use of even having the convention if the general voting public can’t watch Fat Ass fondle Ivankadonk’s ass again? Of course, I say that incest - I mean, in jest!

Trump%20Ivanka

13 Likes

As always My Favorite quote

In a free country, information about citizens is protected by law. Information about the government is open to the public.

In a police state, information about the government is secret and he citizen’s lives are open books.

Such total information inversion is necessary to facilitate the crimes of government and to prevent those crimes from becoming public knowledge

As summed up by Al Gore
"By closely guarding information about their own behavior, they are dismantling a fundamental element of our system of checks and balances. Because so long as the government’s actions are secret, they cannot be held accountable. A government for the people and by the people must be transparent to the people. "

40 Likes

I guess video of masked, socially distanced magats would look too much like surrender to the nanny state.

22 Likes

That certain someone just might be somebody in the president’s inner circle.For two reasons:

1. They can’t help themselves, access is a two way street.

2. They would miss out on a PR opportunity, restricting the media will only increase interest. This will generate a ton of interest. They will try to Tic-Tok the heck out of this, and as a result come away looking cheap and unprofessional.

Compared to what the Democrats are doing, would be a mountain to molehill comparison. The Democrats have been planning this for months and will come away looking polished, professional and competent.

We can expect a world class goat rodeo from the Republicans.

36 Likes

According to CNN’s reporting, “336 delegates will vote at the convention proceedings – one for every six delegates,” and proceedings on the Monday (nomination day) will be live-streamed.

It strikes me that this is a childish middle-finger to the press because the press is perceived as being among the enemies that forced the convention to downsize (in the minds of Trump and his cultists). Like “Okay, you want restrictions and social distancing? Fine! But that means there won’t be room for you!”

19 Likes

She’s pushing 40 now. Too old.

4 Likes

More likely the un-masked, huddled closely together despite the general emptiness of the venue ( all waving confederate flags and Q signs) would be very, very bad footage.

11 Likes

Ah, I can almost hear Trump’s acceptance speech:

“Ein Person! Ein Woman! Ein Man! Ein Camera! Ein TV!”

38 Likes

Plus they need to keep the party platform “Top Secret” until after the election

12 Likes

But that’s what them plastic doctors is fer! Pump a little more Play-Doh into her and she’ll be good to go!

2 Likes

BINGO!

6 Likes

It’ll be a pre-recorded video of Dear Leader projected on the Jumbo-tron, probably with a lengthy fluffing badly-produced video tongue bath about all his “successes” preceding.

They won’t even have to. The reason they’re barring journalists is so that, in a post-Trump world, hundreds of them can selectively “leak” only that carefully-edited video that exonerates themselves. They are all thinking about controlling outside knowledge of their own individual culpability.

A year from now, the standard GOP congresscritter response to the name “Trump” will be “Was he there? Oh, uh…I didn’t really know him, and he wasn’t close to the campaign. I think maybe he was the coffee boy…”

Good points, and one more (see above)

They’re desperate to control the narrative in a post-Trump world; same reason the 45 White House is as leaky as the Borgias’ back stairs. The real bloodletting is going to happen after November, when every single one of those moronic, mendacious, and/or sociopathic West Wing assholes is trying to shiv every other one of them.

25 Likes

Well, I think we can all take heart in this to see having this idiot elected again is not going to happen.
Pack your bags, tRump, you’ll soon be moving on to a lot of court cases, bankruptcy, and shunned by all. Doubt you’ll make it to prison but your life is forever ruined, you dumb thug.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available