GOP Candidate Downplays Possibility Of Pregnancy After Rape

Rep. Abigail Spanberger’s (D-VA) GOP challenger, Yesli Vega, suggested that it was unlikely that a person would become pregnant after being raped when asked about it at a campaign stop last month, according to audio obtained by Axios on Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1421732
1 Like

A reminder

6 Likes

has this half-wit ever heard of the morning after pill? IUDs? abortion?
and it’s only a Monday in June…

16 Likes

She is the Todd Akin of this campaign season.

30 Likes

What was I saying in the other thread about willful ignorance of science?

10 Likes

“I’m a law enforcement officer. I became a police officer in 2011,” Vega said. “I’ve worked one case where as a result of a rape, the young woman became pregnant.”

What an ignorant woman! Oh yes, she was a cop, so that means she is a liar too.

12 Likes

So, is this to encourage rape and downplay the effects? Although they suffer the same lifelong trauma, in fairness, most men do not become pregnant as a result. And I am not talking about men being raped by women. The men who are normalizing rape may come to find it’s not so funny when their son or daughter shows up as a victim.

The casual acceptance of this woman’s ignorance is stunning.

17 Likes

If it hardly ever happens, then why not make an exception for the times that it DOES happen?

28 Likes

“I’m a law enforcement officer. I became a police officer in 2011,” Vega said. “I’ve worked one case where as a result of a rape, the young woman became pregnant.”

Oh well, then it must be true.

History tells us it’s not, but okay. I’m sure the estimated 200k-400k children born of rape in post war Germany feel different.

22 Likes

Perhaps, but one thing is clear, this woman is the village idiot spreading lies. A typical Republican.

16 Likes

So she has an example of a rape resulting in pregnancy that she has personally observed.

Hasn’t she just made the pro-choice point for why abortion is necessary?

16 Likes

After the unidentified person added “because the body shuts down in some way,” Vega said she agreed with that.

“The individual, the male, is doing it as quickly — it’s not like, you know — and so I can see why there is maybe truth to that. It’s unfortunate,” Vega continued.

Soooo, - she’s saying that when a man is “doing it” quickly not enough sperm come out to impregnate a woman??? Or, is she saying that when a man is “doing it” quickly, a woman can “shut that whole thing down”???

Are there any men here who’d like to address that bit of wisdom!!!

Not even A HALF WIT!! :rage:

20 Likes

She is trying to minimize the problem, the reality is that if the rapist is someone close to the victim, which is the most common case, the rape itself rarely gets reported, and if there is a pregnancy the victim just goes to a clinic and nobody gets to know how that happened…

13 Likes

I’m sure that there is Republican candidate that will try to out Akin this newest Akin.

And I’m thinking that was, to be charitable, disingenuous answer. As @v12nna pointed out B/C and the morning after pill were wildly available in 2011. And if one was on oral b/c doctors would recommend to double the dose after forgetting if one took the pill or in some cases rape.
Jeeze I remember this.

6 Likes

VA-7 was substantially redrawn for 2022. Still a swing district, reportedly now D+2.

20 Likes

Perhaps it’s the heat of friction.

Q=F⋅v .

It has to do with work being done against friction of the contact surface.

6 Likes

Are there statistics on this? I would think any women would have the same probability of getting pregnant no matter the method.

1 Like

Apparently, because she worked in L.E., she’s an expert on rape. Rather than focusing on rape being a violent crime, she chose to bullshit her own nonsense theories.

25 Likes

She’s also a Rethugliklan politician which, as we have seen, qualifies her as a doctor as well.

9 Likes

It’s easy to be smart about such issues. RRP is rape-related pregnancy.

• Almost 3 million women in the U.S. experienced RRP during their lifetime.
  • The prevalence of RRP was similar across racial and ethnic groups (i.e., Hispanic, White non-Hispanic, Black non-Hispanic, and other non-Hispanic).
  • About 18 million women have experienced vaginal rape in their lifetime. Women who were raped by a current or former intimate partner were more likely to report RRP (26%) compared to those raped by an acquaintance (5.2%) or a stranger (6.9%).
  • Of women who were raped by an intimate partner, 30% experienced a form of reproductive coercion by the same partner . Specifically, about 20% reported that their partner had tried to get them pregnant when they did not want to or tried to stop them from using birth control. About 23% reported their partner refused to use a condom.
  • Women raped by an intimate partner who reported RRP were significantly more likely to have experienced reproductive coercion compared to women who were raped by an intimate partner but did not become pregnant.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/understanding-RRP-inUS.html

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available