Gohmert Compares Sit-In Led By John Lewis To Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) on Thursday compared a 2016 congressional sit-in led by the late civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) to the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391687
1 Like

Neo-Fascist says what?

Oh, this is gonna be good. Everyone lean in for the pearls of wisdom.

15 Likes

So, like, did anyone here expect anything else from Mr Big Brainbox Gohmert?? Anyone?? Anyone at all??? No??

Thought not.

(It must really be something going through life that stupid.)

28 Likes

Hey, remember when Rep. Lewis savagely killed Capitol police with fire extinguishers and Trump flags?

Yah, me neither.

50 Likes

“I’ve had people say, 'Hey, you know, there’s nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks. Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle.”
“But you know what, it’s a different kind of fighting, it’s a different kind of war and if you’re sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you’re not going to last very long,” Gohmert said. “It’s guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that’s what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did … as people have said, ‘Louie, you have got to understand, you don’t even know your history.’ Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It’s not a good idea.”

9 Likes

Gohmert is a blooming idiot and a racist too. Enough said.

18 Likes

To be fair, here he is violently smashing an innocent police baton with his head.

DXsrLWoVAAEHYlU

37 Likes

Sorta OT but sorta not:

19 Likes

Who the hell cares what ignorant crap Gohmert is spewing today.

6 Likes

2 Likes

It’s easy to dismiss this coming from crackpot Gohmert, but by the end of the day this will be a mainstream Republican talking point, it will be all over Fox News, and will start to be repeated by right wing leaning prosecutors and judges.

There is just no way to put Humpty Dumpty together again, either buy guns or start looking for some other place to live, I am doing the later.

11 Likes

28 Likes

No Louis. As usual. Just No.

14 Likes

And that is all that matters to Joe…

4 Likes

Article I, Section 6:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a compensation for their services, to be ascertained by law, and paid out of the treasury of the United States. They shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.

Fully agree that any insurrectionists who staged a sit-in on the House or Senate floor should get charged with obstruction of an official proceeding, to the extent that there was any actual proceeding that was supposed to be under way at the time of the sit-in.

18 Likes

They were talking about GOP attempts to sanitize the insurrection this morning on Morning Joe. Everyone on the panel agreed that you can whitewash a thing people didn’t see or hear, you can whitewash history, but what you can’t do is convince people that a thing they watched unfold didn’t happen. Sure, their voters will lie and tell pollsters or whomever that it was no big deal, but they’re lying. Same with Gohmert and all the other GOPers trying to convince people they didn’t see what they saw. I’d wager that we’re gonna see lots and lots of Dem ads next year with footage of the insurrection raging in the background while some GOPer compares the insurrectionists to Rosa Parks.

34 Likes

Whitewashing the insurrection would be saying it didn’t happen or nothing really all that bad happened. The position they’re settling on, however, is that J6 was righteous and awesome. They’re going to make it a national holiday.

20 Likes

Perhaps he should address the letter to Bill Barr.

Johnson’s spokesperson told Business Insider that the hold on Graves’ nomination was meant to pressure the DOJ to respond to the senators’ June letter.

9 Likes

In the future schools will be made to teach both sides of the insurrection.

14 Likes

Even my trump humper sister agrees it was a terrible scene, though she believes it was BLM and Antifa doing the criming.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available