Ginsburg Released From Hospital Following Stent Procedure | Talking Points Memo

Why not, it’s worked fine so far for Thomas…

3 Likes

Yes, I did. Thanks. I picked it up on Alternet. I got the sense that to Congressman Lewis doing the right thing was a simple, albeit profound, thing. I have the feeling Lt Col Vindman hears the same drummer.

4 Likes

@zoe_richards: It’s bad enough when conservative is misused about politicians, but it’s an enormity to misuse it about appeals judges. The press should not adopt the idioms and appellations insisted upon by the Republican Party and its allies, yet it does so consistently. Don’t fall into that trap. The word is radical.

3 Likes

Ginsburg is made of tough stuff.

(You’d have to be to live with the knowledge that the President of the United States wishes you were dead.)

2 Likes

Can the Republicans even try to get a new Supreme Court justice this year? That would be a tough sell even for them. It’s already August. Good health to RBG.

2 Likes

:rofl: You mistake them for people with scruples or a sense of shame.

2 Likes

Well I don’t know when early voting starts anywhere else so I don’t know if we start first but Texas starts voting on October 13.

They would have to hurry to put another one the SCOTUS. And there would be such an outcry and pushback, I don’t know if they could do it.

2 Likes

I just think there is nothing Mitch wouldn’t do to ram a nominee through up until his very last day holding the gavel. He would definitely do it if given the chance, and what amount of outcry could stop him? I think we all just hope we’ll never have to find out.

From your mouth to the ears of all the forces of the four directions!

3 Likes

While she does have a terminal diagnosis (really, we all do, in the long run), she is getting exceptional care and Tx. MY heart aches with the hope that her spirit and gumption keep up her strength until she decides she needs to give it up. She has indicated that her work is not done here. I believe her!

3 Likes

Key words “used to.” The guidelines and average have never served any of us individual patients well. I taught medical decision making for years. And I can’t tell how much I appreciate the “outliers” at the end of the spectrum – both the patients and their treatment teams. Guidelines and actuarial tables are for cowards and insurance agents, in MHO.

2 Likes

Hmmm, Jimmy Carter, whose melanoma, which was treated, but later spread to his liver and brain 5 years ago, The one who defied all the odds, and is still working and supervising building Habitat Houses, at the age of, what? That one?

4 Likes

Yeah, I think so! The Energizer Bunny of ex-presidents.

3 Likes

He looks younger in his soul and spirit than both W Bush and Bill Clinton combined!

3 Likes

I had someone who was in the position of an aunt to me, although technically it was more complicated, who was what I’ve heard referred to as a “super-ager.” She was driving, playing cards, being very active in every way until her last few months and she lived to something nuts like 102. Never a trace of impairment mentally or physically. And Jimmy’s the same way. I think most of us realized as the decades went on that he was an unusually talented, energetic, and wise human being. I remember reading a book he wrote about his outdoor life and finding it pretty close in skill level to what my favorite professional outdoor writers could do. Admirable and enviable person.

4 Likes

Wonderful memory! Thank you :pray:

1 Like

If–God(s) forbid–she doesn’t make it to January 3, then assuredly McConnell and Trump (even if the latter has been beaten in November) will pull out all the stops to ram through the right-wingiest right-wing fanatic that the Federalist Society can come up with, even if they have to emulate John Adams’s “midnight judges” appointments on the (literal) eve of Jefferson’s accession to the presidency. (Among the midnight judges was John Marshall, as well as the guy named Marbury who’s famous only for not having his commission signed in time, thus occasioning Marbury v. Madison.)

If Moscow Mitch and Trump do pull off such a maneuver, then the incoming Democratic Congress and President Biden must not hesitate to repeal the Judiciary Act of 1869 and increase the size of the Supreme Court, to cancel out the Trumpian appointments. There will be no excuse for not responding to such cynical chicanery.

Meanwhile, rest easy, Justice Ginsburg. We are all praying or otherwise petitioning the Forces of the Universe on your behalf, while also lamenting that you can’t spend this final phase of your life in repose.

2 Likes

She’s an American hero. She should be able to spend her later years doing whatever she wants after all her service, but instead she has chosen to keep working while fighting cancer to stop a complete right-wing takeover of the courts.

2 Likes

Nothing can stop the Notorious RBG.

You can bet your ass that if a Supreme Court vacancy occurs during what’s left of Dump’s presidency, Dump will try to fill it. McConnell is on record as saying he would bring the nominee’s name to the GOP-led Senate, even during the interregnum between election day and inauguration day, or until January 3 if the Democrats take the Senate. He responds to the charges of hypocrisy (see Garland, Merrick) with some foolishness about how in 2016 the presidency and the Senate were held by opposing parties whereas now they are held by the same party.

Mitch “Dorothy Kilgallen” McConnell is an evil POS.

hypocracy: government by hypocrites

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available