General Manager Says TikTok Not ‘Going Anywhere,’ After Trump Threatens To Ban Video Sharing App | Talking Points Memo

U.S. general manager of TikTok said Saturday that the video sharing app wasn’t “going anywhere,” in spite of warnings from President Donald Trump who said Friday night that he would ban the popular video sharing app TikTok.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1323648

Tic Toc users saved numerous lives by overbooking the Tulsa superspreader event. There could have been 3 or 4 times as many cases spawned with a full venue.

31 Likes

Those TikTok young voters will be pissed!
Vote Biden

How to Tik Tok!

28 Likes

It’s all about the rally and Sarah Cooper. That, and picking another fight with Chye-nah. National security, to put it mildly, has not traditionally been a priority for this administration.

43 Likes

They operate from an American sub with an American CEO so I doubt very much that he can do one thing about it without running afoul of the first amendment.

Has the motherfucker resigned yet? That would solve all his problems.

54 Likes

Doesn’t the Communist Party in China repress their citizen’s access to various forms of social media? Does this action means the t rumpp is following the lead of Communism by suppressing American’s access to tiktok?

10 Likes

I love this woman.

8 Likes

Certainly not our national security.

18 Likes

Not just China.

North Korea, too, and I think other dictatorships do.

6 Likes

Anything you can do, I can do better.
I can do anything better than you.
No you can’t.
Yes I can.
No you can’t.
Yes I can.
No you can’t.
Yes I can, yes I can.

7 Likes

There are probably some legitimate concerns about back doors, data harvesting and such, but nothing essentially different from what Facebook is doing. So yeah, it’s political theater as usual. Bad theater at that, because it’s giving young people yet another reason to vote Biden in November.

Figure out what kind of limits the government can legally impose on these social media companies to insure the integrity of elections and the safety of people’s personal information without violating the 1st Amendment, and you solve any issues with a platform like TikTok.

16 Likes

Again, he is just making it worse for himself and demonstrating what a snowflake weakling we have for POTUS. Everyone will know he is doing this because it got under his skin and she will just move to another platform if he manages to suppress TikTok.

15 Likes

He can run someone down with a tank on the National Mall and not lose a vote!

5 Likes

DoD banned tik-tok back in December.

As much as Trump’s current play is likely political, it’s way pre-dated by the serious folks having real concerns.

8 Likes

Has no one seized the irony…tick…tock…tick…tock…tick…tock…

10 Likes

I knew there were real concerns about Tik Tok and until I knew how they operated in the US I wasn’t sure that he couldn’t ban it. Since I found out that they operate like they do, I don’t think he can. But there are legit concerns about it, I know.

11 Likes

Problem appears to be that, while we know the data goes back to servers not in China, there’s no way for users to see what happens after that, whether the data is just passed through back to China.

They’re not good actors, and they are really taking advantage of us having a doofus in charge.

17 Likes

Yeah I don’t see how the app lasts under the circumstances. I don’t know how it will end but I just can’t imagine that it’s going to keep on as it has since it’s raising issues internationally.

6 Likes

OK, I’m confused.

Chiselin’ Trump hates TikTok but he likes Tic Tacs? Do I have that right?

“I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful—I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pu$$y. You can do anything.”

11 Likes

I find this whole debate fascinating. Trump wants to get rid of a social media platform because he is not the star of it. It sounds like, just from the few words they have used to describe their U.S. operation, that a Tik Tok account is as secure, and likely much more secure, than a Twitter account.

I also think it is ironic that we are afraid of Chinese spying from apps. Projection, much?

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available