Gaetz On Hot Mic Promised Stone Trump Would Pardon Him

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.

The Washington Post obtained audio of Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) on a hot mic reassuring indicted Roger Stone at a Trump event in October 2019 that “the boss,” in Gaetz’s not-at-all mafioso terms, would pardon him if Stone were convicted of lying to Congress and witness tampering.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1426705

39 Likes
27 Likes

The jokes write themselves.

56 Likes

Folks might think a golf course would be able to scrounge up a little sod to cover Ivana’s grave/divot. And they should certainly get all those juicy tax breaks, but only for the area used for the burial plot.

35 Likes

Can someone clean the dirt off the grave marker before taking a picture of Ivana’s grave? Seems a bit tacky, oh wait.

31 Likes

She’s only a week in. If it looks like that in October, that’s another story.

18 Likes

Finding a “fall guy” to pin the blame on (more specifically, arguing that Trump had gotten shoddy legal advice from lawyers who got him into this mess)

Eastman is expected to accept his underbussing without complaint. If I were him, I don’t think I’d want to live most of the rest of my life in the slammer.

Time to start talking, Eastman

45 Likes

I think the time has come to realize NOTHING is going to happen to Matt Gaetz. Don’t know about everyone else but I’ve soured on “under investigation” and " indictment is around the corner". NOTHING is going to happen to him. He’ll easily be reelected and if the GOP controls the House next year he’ll be given considerable power. Sux but it’s true.

10 Likes

My second-rate boarding school was rife with characters like Roger Stone: Guys that weren’t rich enough. They kissed up to every guy whose family had money, and gladly ran interference for them to protect them.

And that’s what Stone is, a flatterer and a stooge. The only person that is less happy about this state of affairs than me is Stone himself. Always the handmaid.

27 Likes

This is where the Republicans have always been headed- not just banning abortion but ending child support as well. The goal is to control women. Never forget it.

pic.twitter.com/AFZNsuc5Ef

— L. Louise Lucas (@SenLouiseLucas) July 31, 2022

West Virginia Republicans have finally figured out the leading cause of abortions & it’s… MALE CHILD SUPPORT.

I shit you not MAGA is trying to get rid of men having to pay a dime of child support so that they can leave mom & baby high & dry.

Family values, live on display.

71 Likes

Is she really in there? On the one hand, it’s on brand, but on the other, these people lie. It’s a tough call.

11 Likes

Dems in DISARRAY!!!
Hogan slams ‘disgusting lies’ about 9/11 by Maryland GOP attorney general nominee | The Hill

30 Likes

Gaetz’ co-conspirator Joel Greenberg is still singing to the Feds. No reason in the world, other than to fry Gaetz.

38 Likes

Women raise children, control the women and you control the population.

Republicans don’t hate women (I hate that stupid simplistic meme) Republicans hate being out of power.

7 Likes

OT: Some of you, (us?), might want to keep an eye on this. The DoJ Prosecutors have asked the Judge to sentence this gentleman to FIFTEEN YEARS. Guy Reffit is the first idiot to reject a plea and go to trial. The jury deliberated a few minutes and convicted him on all counts. 10 AM Eastern.

70 Likes

It is very difficult to imagine that Ivana would have thought this was a good idea. High maintenance international socialite and burial in a golf course with old duffers driving over your grave all day long seems somehow incongruous. Is it possible to be embarrassed when you are dead? That her kids signed off on this speaks volumes.

45 Likes

Gaetz On Hot Mic Promised Stone Trump Would Pardon Him

RICO them all. Trump on down. This is pretend mafia criminality at its worst.

39 Likes

Wonder if he’ll get off on a lighter sentence because of a broken home upbringing or some such nonsense.

You’re darned right this bears watching. If he gets off on anything less than 15, it’ll be viewed as a win and not a deterrent.

13 Likes

I’m not convinced it’s pretend.

32 Likes