Former Federal Judge Lays Out Advice He Gave Pence To Ignore Trumpian Scheme To Steal Vote | Talking Points Memo

A retired federal judge on Tuesday night pulled back the curtain on the crucial early January days when Vice President Mike Pence was deciding whether or not to steal Donald Trump a second term.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388213
2 Likes

The Constitution is worth reading once in a while.

36 Likes

Great piece; thanks. Maybe this is a bit OT, but in the discussion of how Bushism led to Trumpism: How far is it to travel from John Yoo, to John Eastman? The lawlessness has been present for some time now.

61 Likes

Pence ignoring the Eastman memo and Trumpā€™s pressure may have been the only action he took as VP that displayed any integrity. Mind you, I wouldnā€™t vote for him if he ever ran for office again, but credit where credit is due.

37 Likes

Thank Mother for that.

11 Likes

That this could even be stated by a ā€˜professorā€™ of law much less sufficiently entertained by a Vice President to request counsel tells me we have, even after the extraordinary excesses and insanity of the Trump years, not yet reached the pinnacle of Bullshit Mountain.

What is wrong with this country is not that we face problems we have not faced before; we face a deficiency in our problem solving mechanism. And the reason we face a difficulty in our problem solving mechanism is that a good portion of this country live in an alternate universe ...I call this alternate reality where these folks live, Bullshit Mountain ā€“ Jon Stewart
50 Likes

Yes, including credit to, of all people, Dan Quayle.

24 Likes

Looks like Eastman needs to go back to law school.

9 Likes

Well, thereā€™s always the possibility that what Quayle said was along the lines of, ā€œHow would I know?!?ā€ :wink:

3 Likes

Quayle

Acting all Kennedy-like.

9 Likes

You misspelled ā€œprisonā€.

46 Likes

Heā€™s just been fired from one.

32 Likes

Iā€™d like to know he got INTO a law school in the first place.

4 Likes

Any evidence that Luttig actually said what he claims to have said? Itā€™s very convenient that he comes out to be not only on the side of right, but the winning side.

Maybe everything he says is true.

4 Likes

Fun fact: Eastman was Luttigā€™s law clerk the year before he got the gig with Clarence Thomas.

47 Likes

Gee whiz. When you criticize someone youā€™re supposed to find at least something to compliment. Itā€™s called ā€œpeople skills.ā€ This guy makes it sound like Eastman was just totally wrong and makes stuff up as he goes along. Itā€™s no way to treat a respected constitutional scholar.

40 Likes

Carl Bernsteinā€™s truth begets more truth. As factual evidence does, usually.

4 Likes

Cue the The Constitution is unconstitutional! brigade.

11 Likes

And as I read the 12th Amendment, the Vice-President, as President of the Senate has but one job, and that is simply to open the sealed ballots received from the states.

Edited to add:

I donā€™t even think the VP necessarily any role in the counting of the ballots, since the text of the Amendment says only that ā€œThe President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.ā€

15 Likes

Stewart is correctā€¦and it is the volume of derp thatā€™s doing us in. Sociopathy is one thing, but voluminous sociopathy + derp media isā€“wait for it:

One Sidedā€¦and certainly not meriting the least bit of ā€œBoth-Sidednessā€

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available