Former Federal Judge Lays Out Advice He Gave Pence To Ignore Trumpian Scheme To Steal Vote | Talking Points Memo

Pence REALLY wanted to be Trumps best friend, and not knowing in his heart what the right thing to do was, he went seeking advice from more knowledgeable people. Fortunately, he didn’t ask how to spell potato and things worked out for democracy. This time.

15 Likes

I wonder how the GOP would feel if we just ignored elections and rolled out Kamala to decide all of them?

Chyeah, I can hear the screaming already.

63 Likes

How can you hear them screaming over all this (looks around) screaming?

10 Likes

You are more generous that I am. The fact that Pence even had to knock on doors to solicit advice on his January 6th ceremonial role means he left his mental door ajar to the possibility of going along with Trump’s election theft.

He should’ve had enough knowledge of civics and Constitutional law (ask any 12th grader) to instinctively conclude that the Dec. 14, 2020 meeting of the Electoral College determined the winner of the Presidential election, and that the Eastman memo was complete and utter bullshit.

28 Likes

They would probably feel aggrieved, just as my sister did when she added to her legend in the family by complaining to my parents, “He hit me back!”

34 Likes

Per the Electoral Count Act of 1887, the President of the Senate is also the presiding officer over the vote-counting proceeding. POTS also receives the vote tally from the two tellers who do the actual counting, then announces the state of the vote after the counting is complete.

13 Likes

You just have to listen right.

hahahahahahaha

5 Likes

So even under the ECA, which surely must be constitutional since it isn’t inconsistent with the 12th Amendment, at least on this point, the VP has no role in accepting or rejecting certified ballots. His role is purely ministerial.

11 Likes

Wait for the 2024 Republican primaries. Mike Pence debating DeSantis, Nome etc. “I knew Dan Quayle and you my friends are no Dan Quayle”.

10 Likes

You know they would be so aggrieved they’d be running around filing lawsuits, falling on their knees and claiming to the heavens that the Democrats were Communists - o wait they already do that.

I must say that I’m struggling with the notion of Dan Quayle saving democracy. SMDH

22 Likes

It reminds me of decades ago when the TV weatherpersons would froth at the mouth over four inches of snow. “The blizzard of the century!” OK say 18 inches and they’d roll that one out. The point is they were so over the top over nothing, it left them with nowhere to go when a something came along.

15 Likes

Is this like the bit on galaxy quest where the Sigorney Weaver character’s job is to repeat what the computer just said?

9 Likes

Yep. He presides, but he has no discretionary authority over the proceeding.

14 Likes

:musical_note:Oh to live on Bullshit Mountain
With the Carnival Barkers
And the Orange Baboon :notes:

30 Likes

Don’t get me started on that…

Yup. hahahahahahaha It is like that.

5 Likes

How you feeling, kid?

6 Likes

I’m feeling really good this week - my strength has returned, my temper is not so short and things are going well. Thanks for asking! :grinning:

48 Likes

Jesus, this pea brain needed to talk to a lot of people to see if it was ok for him to torch the constitution.

10 Likes

Um, no, actually. Here you go, via the WaPo story:

"…In late December, the authors reveal, Pence called Dan Quayle, a former vice president and fellow Indiana Republican, for advice.

"Quayle was adamant, according to the authors. ‘Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away,’ he said.

“But Pence pressed him, the authors write, asking if there were any grounds to pause the certification because of ongoing legal challenges. Quayle was unmoved, and Pence [ultimately agreed]”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/09/14/peril-woodward-costa-trump-milley-china/.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available