For Upcoming D.C. Protesters, Jan. 6 Was Just ‘Boomers Doing A Self-Guided Tour’ | Talking Points Memo

David Kurtz makes a great point.

“…the Trumpian made-up threats to democracy… are taken much more seriously by Republicans than the actual threats to democracy…”

2 Likes

One quibble:

2 Likes

Some say The Real Austin died when the Bush twins couldn’t have an underage drink out in public without getting ratted out to the cops.

Personally, I say it was when Antone’s moved from Guadalupe to 5th Street.

5 Likes

I’ve heard that one too.

1 Like

Likewise, you might do a little better than assuming something is meant as a slight. I was asking because that’s where I saw the footage, it sounds like just a few years after you. Yes I know the internet is a series of assholes, but that wasn’t my intent.

2 Likes

For me it was Las Manitas closing to put up a Marriott.

3 Likes

My Austin memories go back to the 70s. My wife grew up in Tarrytown and has seen more changes than I.
We went dancing at The Broken Spoke in the 90s when it was out on the edge of town. She remembered when it was out in the country.
Last time I saw it, the bus was gone and the old dancehall was obscured by a hideous slagheap of highrise apartments.

I wept.

4 Likes

I love the Broken Spoke of the 90’s. I only really went to bear Bruce Robison. Sometimes his wife Kelly Willis would sing too. Great times. Yeah it’s buried by new Austin. Emblematic of the whole city.
The BS had a memorable urinal.

1 Like

Btw this always reminds me of the Broken Spoke. Great two-step song.

2 Likes

2021 status: Still open, apparently under a long-term lease with the developer of the apartments.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember some talk of the case being properly in the
West District. Thanks for the info. I did wonder if the case was
going to trial too soon. I stand corrected. It was a weird time
working for LA Superior Court (civil).

2 Likes

I also remember some talk of keeping the trial in downtown LA because of a
more diverse jury pool. It was a long time ago and my memories are blurry

1 Like

We scooted our boots to Alvin Crow.

1 Like

I don’t think we ever got a particularly forthcoming explanation of why they moved the trial downtown, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t want LA to explode again a la the Rodney King verdict, which it might well have if OJ had been convicted by a jury of his Brentwood peers. But it pretty much assured that they were going to get a jury nullification acquittal downtown as a big eff-you to the cops and the DA’s office.

2 Likes

Yep. For any who’ve forgotten, on January 6th, 2021 the Capitol was closed to visitors!

3 Likes

The article, the headline and the GOP’ers described in the article used the term. I am, technically a boomer and have been called a boomer on this and other sites. It doesn’t bother me, particularly. If it did, I might have avoided the article and the comments so as not to have to read it.

1 Like

Just because you’re paranoid, does not mean they are not after you.

The Iron Works in downtown Austin.
A dumpy place (long gone) 3 blocks from my apartment would not make any “best” list ever, but they made a decent & inexpensive chopped beef sandwich. Those were the days.

2 Likes

I’ve been pondering since you made this comment earlier today: Who are the GOP 2024 primary candidates and what are their chances?

His If He Wants It Unless He’s In Prison: Trump

First Tier: Trump (from prison), DeSantis, Cruz

Second Tier: Abbott, Haley, Christie, Pence, Hawley

Third Tier: Token Black Guy, Noem, Pompeo, everybody else except Rubio

Rubio: Rubio

3 Likes

Ha! I ran into a group of Solicitor General Ted Cruz’s young (white, male) staff at The Iron Works at lunch one day in the late '00s. The guy I was eating with had, IIRC, gone to law school with one of them. Bunch of enthusiastically evil dudes, but genial enough company for cheap BBQ on the porch.

ETA: And yes, they were quite open about their intention to take over the entire government of the entire country.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available