Florida Election Officials Revolt Against GOP Bill Targeting Mail-In Voting | Talking Points Memo

Florida’s Republican leaders have changed their tune on the state’s elections system. 

In the months before and immediately after the 2020 election, they bragged about the state’s mastery of mail-in voting and lauded November’s election for, as Gov. Ron DeSantis’ put it, showing the country how “elections should be run.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1364681

Florida legislature’s in-house TV channel:

30 Likes

Because it’s not about running smooth elections, it’s about stopping people from voting who don’t vote for you.

51 Likes

Baxley said. “A couple of them have been pretty brutal on me and I’m not sure that you’ve accomplished a lot by doing that with policymakers.”

That’s oddly backwards. I would have thought that the policymakers would have wanted to talk to the people who actually run the voting system BEFORE they start to tinker with it.

41 Likes

DeSantis = DePlorable = DeSpicable = DeMented = DeVious = DeVilish = DeFinitely An Asshole

13 Likes

There you go again with that logic thing…

11 Likes

“Florida Election Officials Revolt…”

DeSantis Aide: “Governor, Florida election officials are revolting!”

DeSantis: “You said it – they stink on ice.”

(h/t Count de Monet)

21 Likes

Well sure, it works in practice. But, does it work in theory?

7 Likes

I can’t remember if it was IA or NE where the Republican SoS did an excellent job of communicating with the state’s voter’s their ability to vote absentee, or early voting, all the while making as safe a possible during COVID. And this may have been not for the general but a local or state election. He sent out a well done statement, and then the Governor-Republican slammed him. In the blink of an eye he went from hero to zero.

14 Likes

These are the people who thought they were just picking allegiance to a team instead of signing on to burn down the stadium if necessary.

14 Likes

It’s the customary goober governing method. Fuck things up that work and then blame democrats for a broken system that by design favors republicans.
And btw @schmed. That is a besutiful beard you posted. Makes me jealous.

8 Likes

Count De Money (R-FL)

10 Likes

The problem is that over the years Florida Republicans have benefited greatly from mail in voting. Some elected Republicans are beginning to understand that they are the ones who will suffer if they restrict mail in voting.

The Republican party is fighting Trump’s war. It is going to bite them in the butt.

25 Likes

“Well then, why don’t you end the conversation there, instead of trying to go in here and wreck a very well functioning [system]?”

The Republican campaign strategy depends on government not working. That’s why Party politicians have to break systems.

18 Likes

Q: “I’m literally befuddled as to why we would tweak a system that performed exceedingly well,”

A: the 2020 election brought a record number of Democratic voters using vote-by-mail in the state

25 Likes

Except that, after 2 decades of being a knife-edge election, Florida broke rather significantly to trump this time.

16 Likes

It’s clear that Republicans are doing all of this to stop Democratic voters from expressing their choice. It’s an anti-democratic movement, and it makes it very clear that Trump is only a symptom of the movement of the Republican party towards forcing a dictatorship onto us. It’s going to take a serious drive from all voters to get out and push Republicans out of office, as well as federal intervention to force the states to hold fair elections…if Republicans are worried they can’t win if elections are fair then they don’t deserve to win until they start working for the American people and earn their vote.

22 Likes

GA is still the clear winner with the proposed restriction on bringing food and water to people who stand in line to vote up to 11 hours. Someone’s going to have to really over achieve if they want to beat that.

It amazes me that no one in the room says, “Gee, Roy, that sounds kind of mean,” when the GQP braintrust comes up with crap like this.

29 Likes

In the case of Florida the Republicans will suppress seniors who are the backbone of the Republican vote statewide. From a purely partisan point of view making it harder for seniors to vote is going to sink the Republican party in Florida.

16 Likes

They do.

Then everyone laughs and toasts each other.

29 Likes