Five Takeaways From The First Jan. 6 Committee Hearing | Talking Points Memo

6 Likes

My takeaway is that the Washington Post wants to bury this story, also:

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a congressional historian who knows the last time the N-bomb was dropped in a congressional hearing, on the floor or elsewhere.
“It might have been Jesse Helms back in 1986 in the cloak room”. “Could have been ole Strom in a senile moment during his last term”.

3 Likes

Let’s be clear… the narrative being created by the Republicans is directly out of Putin’s playbook. He is directing this. The dismantling of American Democracy was far easier, and cheaper, than all the bombs he could have built. All he had to do was convince Americans that their own government was taken over by the ‘others’.

Democrats need to PAINT the GOP from top to bottom with the Russian traitor narrative. They better get damn serious because between now and 2024 if they don’t, there WILL NOT BE ANOTHER CHANCE. The GOP will get in and dismantle this country. Sorry to say, but I for one will be amongst the first to leave after such an election. I am not sticking around for the slaughter that will ensue.

4 Likes

If we can really, solidly take the Senate, and hold onto the House, Nancy could just Impeach him again. Impeachment isn’t a criminal proceeding. There’s no protection against double jeopardy, and with enough of a margin—and I think, if it goes more Democratic, you’ll see Republican Senators jumping ship on Trump—we could convict and bar him from federal office.

Hell, if we can get a firm hold on the Senate and hold the House, we could likely just pass a law saying anyone who incited or participated in the insurrection is barred from public office in the United States, for life.

4 Likes

My bad. I thought trump was physically at the Jan 5 meeting. No matter, though. We know his henchmen were there and I strongly suspect he is complicit. He’s not too bright and will get caught.

2 Likes

Question is how much of that drop is due to crazies leaving for OAN?

ETA: Looks like 70% of the country is sane
Hopefully that will be enough.

1 Like

Wow, these fuckers are nuts

6 Likes

Appalling. Just…sickening and appalling.

3 Likes

Ofc. Fanone says he cannot get the Fraternal Order of Police to do ANYTHING to back the Capitol cops. Their leader was hobnobbing with Chump and making rally appearances with him. Of course that means instant corruption.

The FOP will show up and back cops who gun down folks on the street, but wouldn’t utter a peep for the Cap Cop who had to shoot Ashli Bimbo. Or make any response to the Cap Cops episode of the J6 insurrection. Of all the twisting and groveling and pretzel-knotting that we witnessed the last 5 years, the Police, Back the Blue, Sheriffs, and military types have done the least to reassure Americans of where they stand. They carry enormous power and we still have no idea where they will use it, on which side. They caused a lot of the racial and law-n-order tension that the RW tries to capitalize on…and done very little to restore faith or prove that the constitution is their lode-star. So many of them were complicit in the insurrection and the general shift towards chaos and anti-democracy but they still are The Power at nearly every scene and confrontation…every march, demonstration, rally, speech, and even elections. (Michigan Sheriff still storming around his county threatening election payback).

We worry and wonder, rightfully, about the military. But the police and sheriffs appear to be corrupt at every turn. If it isn’t the cops on the beat, it is their leadership. If it isn’t their leadership, it is their unions and lobbying arms. And powerful politicians trying to use them at every turn for muscle or PR appeal. And then our traitor citizens who howl about supporting cops and plastering everyone else for being dirtbag criminals, when they themselves are not only the bulk of dirtbag criminals but the bulk of middle-class rip-off artists, white collar grand theft and tax cheats, and insurrectionists with a starkly two-faced relationship. The cops don’t even know if they are supposed to be protecting the status quo against the traditional radical lefties…or the next minute pulling an Ole! bullfighter move of letting the insurrectionists breach the barriers and pull down the status quo.

5 Likes

I wanted to work Salome, Herod, and John the Baptist into my reply, somehow, but I couldn’t get there. I don’t have any trouble thinking of Liz Cheney as Salome, but TFG as John the Baptist just didn’t work. Having slept on it, here goes:

Liz Cheney made it clear that she wants an orange head with white rings around the eyes on a platter. It’s almost as if Salome demanded Herod’s head on a platter rather than John the Baptist’s.

4 Likes

Hard to book him onto the show when you don’t know whose place he’s couch-surfing.

2 Likes

That’s not the metric.

And–per the Watergate analogy–those fish will flip upward.

3 Likes

What’s Britney wearing today?

3 Likes

He’s very dim, but he has a low cunning that has kept him out of prison so far. It seems noteworthy that there has not been any news out of the Manhattan D.A. investigation since the Weisselberg indictment, and SDNY has only about two more months before limitations is going to run on Individual 1.

1 Like

John Prine - “House of Strombo” (available on YouTube)

2 Likes

Shorter Banks: Of.course it’s not our fault that we hurt people! It’s your fault.for not stopping us!

2 Likes

What’s next?

The Committee’s webpage lists no upcoming hearings. There’s nothing on C-SPAN today, either.

Wow, in six months not one peep from the Fraternal Order of Whiners, er, I mean the Fraternal Order of Police. Officer Fanone said they refused to even officially condemn the twenty-one House GOP members who voted against recognizing the most heroic officers that day! Why isn’t that in the news?

If the traitor/murderers were all Dems, you know national police, coast to coast in every city and town would have walked off the job and demanded an investigation the next day!

We never hear anything about the CP officers who committed suicide. I wonder if the dichotomy of being almost murdered by their fellow Trump worshippers was too distressing?

1 Like

The 14th amendment does that. We probably do need a separate law stating that participating or planning the events of Jan 5-6 counts as participating in an insurrection for the purposes of the 14th amendment.

ETA: the 14th only covers congress. You’re right that we need to root these cretins out of state and local office, which probably have more scope for acting on their racist instincts, as well.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available