Five Takeaways From The First Jan. 6 Committee Hearing | Talking Points Memo

The House select committee to investigate the Jan. 6 attack had its first hearing on Tuesday, a surprisingly emotional event that featured officers who defended the Capitol that day demanding that Congress investigate former president Trump’s role in inciting the attack.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1382525
1 Like

So much respect for those four officers.

85 Likes

But what about executing the criminal that who murdered Ashli Babbitt??

1 Like

“Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.” ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

61 Likes

Glad for this recap, since I missed watching today. Does anyone know when it starts up tomorrow?

eta: also, which parts from today do you all think it’s most important to find and watch?

10 Likes

Ill bet shit don’t change. The GOP will still be the dears of Law Enforcement and get 90% or more of their votes.

21 Likes

ABSOLUTELY

62 Likes

Nothing will change as long as we continue to suffer with the current RW media propaganda. Nothing.

24 Likes

It would be wonderful if the GQP didn’t refuse to honor the coming subpoenas for sworn testimony but they seem to regard laws as only applying to other people.

35 Likes

This is an important step.

46 Likes

I’m trying to look at this through Kevin McCarthy’s eyes to figure out why he thought he would be better off pulling his picks off the committee. It’s hard to figure.

–The committee remains bipartisan to an extent.
–McCarthy has lost any control or influence he might have had.
–There is no one on there now to disrupt, distract, and carry Trump’s water.
–The Republicans that remain will probably be the source of some of the strongest attacks on Trump.

It’s possible that McCarthy just didn’t realize how much Cheney and Kinzinger hate him and the Trump he rode in on. Even so, it looks like he acted in a fit of pique and now doesn’t know what to do.

122 Likes

It’s going to be difficult if not impossible to nail Trump on this. He sure as shit was instrumental in providing energy but tying him to planning and execution is another matter. If the attorneys representing the insurrectionists play it right they’ll head fake America into thinking this was a spontaneous event that rose from a gather that did not have the riot initially in mind. No planning or premeditation. No conspiracy. That’s bullshit but it is their job to do that and I’m sure they’ll succeed in that in so far as Trump is concerned.

Satisfaction can be had from the jailing of hundreds of these assholes while their Saint couldn’t care less. What dupes and soon to learn that.

17 Likes

bingo

33 Likes

The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too
T’was the witch of November come stealin’

28 Likes

Well this is a different take
of course that would make Pelosi president

Mike Lindell says that one way for Trump to be reinstated is for Biden and Harris to resign after his cyber symposium. pic.twitter.com/sY7rUYlWA9

— PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 (@patriottakes) July 26, 2021
29 Likes

If you did not watch the testimony of the four officers, and the questions and reactions of the representatives, you owe it to yourself to watch the videos of it. It is wrenching and heart-breaking. I work with veterans of the military and of law enforcement and I had to stop watching at work this morning because I couldn’t stop myself from crying. Will finish watching tonight at home where I can cry without embarrassment.

The only question I have for any candidate for any political office next year is: Do you blame trump for the Jan. 6 insurrection, yes or no."

64 Likes

Ashli Babbitt was not murdered.

38 Likes

I was clapping and cheering when officer Hodges pulled out and read the legal definition of “terrorists”.

Would have been quicker though to just say “GQP”.

44 Likes

Who was the last republican House leader who knew what the fuck he was doing?

13 Likes

McCarthy reminds me precisely of Laurence Harvey (to Trump’s Angela Lansbury) in The Manchurian Candidate except for One Thing.

McCarthy never diverted from total sycophancy to Trump. Harvey, on the other hand, had a chance to live his own life**

**free from the Queen of Diamonds.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available