Five Points On Ken Paxton’s Time In the Barrel

Long-indicted and long-serving Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) drew national attention this week both as the lodger and subject of various wild claims of impropriety.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458645

It’s Texas, Jake!

25 Likes
  1. I can’t believe I’m (EDIT: almost) first.
  2. More than anybody in Texas politics, Ken Paxton makes me angry. The guy is as corrupt as a member of the tfg family, he’s the damned ATTORNEY GENERAL, and yet he keeps getting re-elected. Do better, Texas.
44 Likes

May I recommend that for sake of clarity Texans put a prohibition on electing men if their last name starts with “P”?
We’ve got:
Paxton
2 Patricks father and son
Phelan
Paul-Tx real estate investor though not an elected official got thrown into the pot

6 Likes

Only Texas governor to ever get impeached was Pa Ferguson in 1917 (he was convicted and removed). The Lege also impeached, convicted, and removed a district court judge in 1975.

Even after the session is over, they can impeach Paxton in a special session, which Phelan can call himself with the written support of 50 other members, or a simple majority of all members can call it without the speaker.

41 Likes

I’m sure that paxton and phelan and so many other Texas elected repubs are just doing the best they can to serve the good people of Texas. It merely seems that they have other priorities.

6 Likes

Texas: If it hadn’t pissed oil it would have blown away long ago. What a crowd of pretend-tough craps and big talking nobodies.

Oh to be a rider in the old days, as these drunks got wild and rolled out to hang a passing messican. Oh, to pick them off from some quaint ridge.

3 Likes

“What about ME?”

24 Likes

We’ll have to somehow shoe horn him into the story.

4 Likes

“That’s what I’m talkin’ about!”

17 Likes

General Paxton”?

2 Likes

Q: What is the difference between Ken Paxton and a bucket of sh_t?
A: The bucket.

21 Likes

Not since Ed Meese can I think of an Attorney General who spends more time in court as a defendant than he does as a plaintiff or prosecutor. Texas must be so proud.

23 Likes

You seem to imply there can be no ties for first. For as bad as Paxon is, Abbott can certainly match him.

12 Likes

He is the Attorney General…referred to as General for short. In Paxton’s case it is absolutely bonkers.

7 Likes

It seems they believe they are the good people of Texas.

3 Likes

Paxton has evaded consequences so long that I am surprised the House was actually investigating him.

Even though Phelan is a hard right R, he at least has been an honest broker in both sessions as speaker. Not that I like his politics but at least you know he will at least be straight with you.

When I saw the tweet about Phelan being drunk, I watched it twice. I thought it was filtered through AI, and went to the link of the hearing on the State Leg website. The actual video of the floor session shows Phelan stumbling with finding the words but to me it was just exhaustion after a 14-hour days.
Phelan has a real east Texas drawl that can get more evident at time, and I have seen him working through finding his words before. I don’t think he was drunk. Maybe, but Paxton’s move was a desperate act by a desperate asshole.

You can watch here. https://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=80&clip_id=24931

Go to 5:48:30 and see what you think.

Politics in this state is truly corrupt.

27 Likes

Paxton is the kind of desperate asshole who makes other desperate assholes sit up and say, “Now THERE’S a desperate asshole!”

22 Likes

Somebody once asked King Kelly if he drank during games, he answered that it depended on how long the game lasted.

7 Likes

OK Paxton has been indicted. Why is it being ignored.?

edit

One other thing The US government will not pay Social Security, the Military, or a lot of other folks as of June 1. But Members of the House and Senate are assured they will be paid. Why is that?

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available