Feinstein Says She’s Back in DC But Will Work A ‘Lighter Schedule’ Per Doctor Advisement

I concluded that term limitation is a false panacea, a slam-dunk approach to political reform that offers little beyond emotional release of pent-up frustrations with the performance of the economic and political system. Whatever evil term limits were designed to counter—careerism, incumbency advantage, unaccountable power, or overspending—the evidence suggested that the actual consequences were likely to be far different and potentially harmful to our political system.

15 Likes

The only thing arguing against that perspective, where I’m almost ready to join you, is that it isn’t guaranteed that a replacement would get her seat on the Judiciary committee.

It would need 60 votes because the R’s will filibuster. Graham has said on record that he’d support a replacement on the committee, but we’d still need more R’s committing to be sure. At least now, she’s a guaranteed vote on the committee.

If she can show up for all the critical votes and the ones she misses don’t matter, i.e. the ones with bipartisan support, then I guess it’s the best outcome for now. If she misses critical votes, then I’m going to join those yelling that she should have resigned a month ago.

18 Likes

Here’s a recommendation for Senator Feinstein’s “light” schedule. She should give one speech and retire. Let someone who can handle the job be appointed until an election can be held.

2 Likes

The fly in that ointment is that her seat on the Judiciary Committee would remain empty because the GQP would filibuster a replacement.

It may feel good to say it, but it’s incredibly counterproductive.

14 Likes

Governor Newsom would appoint an interim successor to Feinstein. That person would be sworn in. Democrats then name her replacement on the Judiciary Committee. The GQP can’t filibuster any of this.

They can though… at least the Commitee assignment

6 Likes
7 Likes

Oh dear god.

“Even though I’ve made significant progress and was able to return to Washington, I’m still experiencing some side effects from the shingles virus,” Feinstein said. “My doctors have advised me to work a lighter schedule as I return to the Senate. I’m hopeful those issues will subside as I continue to recover.”

Shingles, you know. Dementia? What? Who said anything about dementia? La lala lala. Look over there! Shingles!

Sad and stupid all in one, and going to get a lot worse.

I mean, this is a Robert Byrd / Strom Thurmand situation and it’s not great.

That said, She’s still more with it than Herchel Walker would have been, despite how far her cheese has slid off the cracker

8 Likes

How so, or was that self-referential?

1 Like
11 Likes

Yeah, because you were wrong about demanding she retire and that can’t be your fault, so it must be hers.

People with power don’t let go. It’s a fact of life. But do you understand that should she retire before the end of her term, moscow mitch can filibuster to A) block the seating of her replacement in the senate, and B) block the seating of a replacement senator on the judiciary committee? And neither of Manchin or Sinema will vote to eliminate or suspend the filibuster, and both votes would be needed.

It was always, wait for Feinstein to recover, or nothing.

Where is she right now? (showing up in congress to vote). Also, could you please reference your posts about how Fetterman should retire (2+ month absence) or Lujan should retire (2+ month absense).

6 Likes

It’s true the GOP is able to object to a temporary replacement for Feinstein while she is out but remains a U.S. senator. My point, which perhaps I didn’t cogently say, is if Feinstein resigns/retires, and is replaced by Governor Newsom as a senator, Schumer can name replacements for her committee assignments. In this scenario no filibuster occurs.

Is it more clear now?

1 Like

You know that vaccines are far from 100% effective? They improve your odds. And if you have any evidence she has not received the vaccine, present it. Otherwise, fuck your strawman argument.

3 Likes

Please see my response to thinderclapnewman.

Reality says otherwise. Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.

4 Likes

I respectfully disagree for the reasons previously stated.

Yes, shingles. It is a thing. Folks here have had it, and it is not pleasant.

What is your problem with mentioning shingles, which is a real thing and is referred to by that name? The world is not required to function within the limitations of your ignorance.

2 Likes

It remains clearly wrong. Seating an appointed senator in the senate is subject to senate debate, and thus filibusterable. Seating any senator to a committee is filibusterable.

Never give Moscow Mitch a chance.

5 Likes

It is and was…

For clarity on my side…

Committee assignments are by vote in the senate at the beginning of the term.

It is unanimous at that time because it’s all assignments, both sides.

Replacing a Senator on committee would also require a vote, just like the temporary assignment. Thus Subject to filibuster.

This would be a new norm to break to not allow a replacement after a Senator leaves, but Republicans care not for norms in the pursuit of power.

If a republican Senator were to kick it, Dems could do the same…they wont.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available