FDA And CDC Recommend Pause On J&J COVID Vaccines Amid Reports Of Blood Clotting

So sorry. I hope they sort all of this out quickly and things begin to move again for you.

2 Likes

It’s not really a party until someone files a lawsuit. Jus’ sayin’.

3 Likes

Folks should remember that these vaccines are not fully FDA-approved, they’re under the Emergency Use Authorization authority. Just like J&J had a pause in the Phase 3 trials for a few weeks in the fall, the recommendations now are totally in line with that.

This is the smart move, taking a pause to check out what the problem is, if any. And if J&J was the only option, I’m sure they’d look at it differently. But since there are two other vaccines in production which haven’t been associated with the same side-effects, if we have to put J&J to the side like AstraZenica, it’s not the same catastrophic outcome that it might otherwise be.

6 Likes

Guessing you’re not a woman aged 18-48!

Anyway, I think the announcement is accurate.

I am not sure I agree that it plays into the hands of the anti-vaccination types.

3 Likes

As with AstraZeneca overseas, the authorities have been saying that for a 65 year old, the risk of complications from COVID are much higher than the risk of side effects. Maybe call your doctor. you deserve some peace of mind.

what state are you in?

stay safe

3 Likes

I thought of the same thing, and perimenopausal hormone replacement too, which can be related to clotting as well.

But do we know that the women were taking birth control or HRT?

4 Likes

Some types of blood clots are more prevalent than others. DVT from flying is far more common than the types of clots at issue here. It’s their rareness that set off the concern.
Sadly, for some people, it is going to be very hard to be rational about this.

2 Likes

Almost certainly not HRT, given the maximum age of 48. But, no, as far as I know, we have no details at all regarding other factors. See @castor_troy’s post, ( FDA And CDC Recommend Pause On J&J COVID Vaccines Amid Reports Of Blood Clotting ) which gives more perspective. I mean, it helped me.

3 Likes

No, definitely HRT. Late forties early fifties is when the nightsweats and hot flashes begin. They are the reason for most HRT prescriptions. Way older women may get low dose HRT for bone density issues, but the HRT prescribed for younger perimenopausal women is much higher – double at least and sometimes more depending on the persistence of symptoms.

5 Likes

See Europe for what the AZ pause has done there for vaccination efforts.

3 Likes

It has to be noted that people, like my partner who are prone to blood clouts, should not be alarmed. The clouting created by this and other vaccines is not the same and is easily treatable without the usual meds.

My partner will be getting the jab on Thursday. It took a lot of convincing and research. I’m just glad we will both be inoculated and 80% saver. I had mine last week.

7 Likes

Too many variables for a facile comparison.

2 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

i wonder if the doctors investigating know this? ya think?

There are different types of blood clots. The type they are seeing are a much rarer variety–i.e. not the type that can be complications of other medicines like HRT. Because we see a higher frequency of very rare conditions we suspect a relationship. If there is a plausible confounding factors it will be hard to find with so little data (only 8 cases) but this is what the people investigating are trained to do.

5 Likes

Of course they do. But perhaps here some people don’t.

I’d love more info on the different, rarer type of blood clot you mention. Do you have any links? I’d love to read up. Thanks.

1 Like

Maybe. I fear the net effect will not be good (more people will refuse vaccination), even if they clear the J&J fairly quickly.

Europe’s bigger problem is that they do not have sufficient alternatives. In the US, it will put more pressure on authorities to give all the Moderna and Pfizer supplies as first doses and delay second doses.

6 Likes

Just to put it in perspective: Birth control pills cause blood clots about a million times more often. How frequently do we hear about that? Wonder why not? Sensationalistic as usual.

7 Likes

I hate that this has happened. Just gives more credence to the anti-vaxxers that will use this as proof-positive that they are right and cast doubt on the whole process. Watch the numbers of people in lines for vaccines drop precipitously.

6 Likes

Regulators regulate by rules. The rules are specified from time immemorial (not really, but have been there, adopted and changed since 1970s). This is something they HAD to do. No choice. It’s their obligation.

This is the government’s job. To check the batch and see if all is good with it. Don’t immediately assume this is “god action” nobody can do anything about. To figure out what happen and issue warnings for people with pre-existing conditions. They need time to do that.

I don’t understand the hesitancy here and elsewhere I read comments. Surely we, the Democrats, wanted just that - a government that is attentive, checks things properly, issues regulations that save people’s lives? Or are we Republicans now?

5 Likes

Ahem. My response was oblique snarque, by which I mean heavily ornamented snark, considered by many a bit too much.

Keep talking Banker, I like the way you tweet.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available