FDA And CDC Recommend Pause On J&J COVID Vaccines Amid Reports Of Blood Clotting

When you mentioned birth control pills, it reminded me that the risk of blood clots increased for women who were smokers. Not sure if that applies here with the vax as well. Anyway, we are not getting all of the info that medical experts are yet.

I happened to be on the pill for most of my entire reproductive life, a non smoker, and no issues at all. Got the J&J, and other than extreme fatigue and aches for 24 hours, was fine after.

I’m glad for all of the industry’s caution, but I’d say — try not to be worried, and I hope you can get this vax or whatever is available as soon as possible.

6 Likes

Can we find out what Jared and Ivanka think?

3 Likes

I guess you have to take into account the 100s of millions other shots by other manufacturers that have 0 incidents of clotting.

I’m in the J&J clinical trial for the double shot. I found out on the 1st when they did the unblinding that I’m in the placebo group. So, instead of having received the real jab two weeks prior, I got it that day. I’m a little nervous having had a DVT blood clot a few years prior, but all I can do is stay active. Plus, uuuhhh, 6 out of 6.8 million doses and 0 deaths from the J&J shot vs. 562,000 U.S. deaths from Covid. I kinda like my odds.

18 Likes

Received J&J on 3-09-21, feel fine.

4 Likes

Don’t eat, go outdoors in warm weather, or get a dog!!!1!!!one You’re far more likely to die from these than the vaccine.
Odds of death from–
choking on food 1 in 2,535
bee sting 1 in 59,507
dog attack 1 in 86,781

6 Likes

Me, too. Also, I’m more leery of the mRNA technology and its propensity to cause anaphylaxis than I am of the more traditional J&J technology due to past experience with anaphylaxis. There are always risks, but better to not sign up for something you know you have a heightened risk for if you have other options.

5 Likes

Looking at the data, what I see so far is a degree of correlation, not necessarily any causation.

I assume this distinction is what you’re getting at.

The announcement is meant, in part, to calm and convince those people who fear the vaccine.

2 Likes

Yes. I wish there was more data available to the public; I’m going to assume that the CDC is making good, sound decisions, but on it’s face, this one looks suspicious. What’s the rate of that kind of blood clotting in the population that has not received the J&J vaccine?

1 Like

Not sure one wants the agencies to give up all their independence.

Or even the appearance thereof.

2 Likes

Not so fast. How many of those dog attacks are by other people’s dogs? Your own dog increases your longevity if you walk it. Not to mention the emotional support. Sheesh, a dog’s your best friend. Get real.

3 Likes

The incidents of blood clots after vaccinations are not any higher than it is in the general population.
Both J&J and AstraZeneca use a harmless cold virus

The virus vector being used in the Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines is an adenovirus, a common type of virus that typically causes mild cold symptoms when it infects someone.

4 Likes

They do a quick health check before you’re given the shot. I imagine if you were getting a different vaccine, they wouldn’t administer it under an abundance of caution. It didn’t hurt that U-M had my health records right there on the portal. The nurse saw I had had an allergic reaction to latex (very minor), but she went and got the vaccine that was latex-free (didn’t know that was a problem or available).

4 Likes

One could assume snark, given his avatar?

6 Likes

If the decision is political, it isn’t worth a shit in my opinion. The information was correctly made public. They did not order the disuse of the vaccine, only recommended, the individual has an opportunity to reject the vaccine if the State continues its use.

3 Likes

My comment itself flashed ‘snark’ in bold neon colors, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m betting the risk of blood clots is much lower from these vaccines than it is with any of a number of medications like some forms of birth control. I bet it’s even lower than the risk of a blood clot from flying from ATL to LA.

7 Likes

I will pay attention to the number of people with complications if and when the number reaches similar levels to the daily death count from covid.

2 Likes

I too had J&J about 10 days ago. The overwhelming odds are that you will be just fine and well protected against serious illness from COVID.

The media will do a bad job reporting on this and make people more anxious and some people afraid to be vaccinated altogether.

The science authorities by acting with an abundance of caution are trying to signal to the public that safety remains a very high priority. I am sure they understand that by doing so, it is going to make some people fear that things are less safe than it is. this appears to be a very rare side effect. For those suffering it, it is a horrible outcome.

5 Likes

You’re being rational. The irrational hesitant vaxxers are in two groups: those with formal educations; those without. The former is smaller, but just as irrational as the latter. I know one brilliant engineer. He ain’t getting one. Ask him why and he can’t give a rational answer.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available