FBI Warns That QAnon Followers Have Discussed Infiltrating National Guard At Biden Inauguration

I seriously doubt that outsiders posing as NG could infiltrate this setup. There are surely multiple layers of protection against that, including coded digital IDs or facial recognition and such.

A much bigger worry, supposedly also being dealt with, hopefully effectively, is infiltration from within, by actual NG troops who’ve been recruited by these groups and could potentially go rogue and do something.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough. 26 hours and 22 minutes to go.

4 Likes

For that matter, given the whole Antifa business, you’d think the Biden admin could declare a bunch of idiots trying to infiltrate the National Guard a terrorist organization.

1 Like

He did say security was a “cat and mouse game.”

9 Likes

Still. Happy the concept was floated publicly. Can’t imagine any Fortune 500 member wanting to take on Trump baggage that reeks of lying.

5 Likes

I remember a John Varley novel where they wanted information from this guy, so they blindfolded him and said they were going to laser off his balls if he didn’t tell them what they wanted to know.

When he was convinced they were actively doing that, he told them everything. Blindfold off, and it turned out they were only putting ice on his genitals, and his fear supplied the rest.

Something like this…is it torture? I mean, it’s safer than waterboarding, so…

Right up there with “She was just asking for it by wearing that sexy outfit” and “Surely the Jews did SOMETHING that made the Nazis want to exterminate them!”. So much for “personal responsibility”, “moral values” and “law and order”.

5 Likes

The government has been warning of right-wing extremists for a long time. I’d say they’re already well infiltrated.

3 Likes

Never mind the PR flacks, what Board would sign on to hiring anyone from an administration that incompetent? Senior tRump admin officials are going to have a lot of time on their hands to contemplate their folly.

3 Likes

One thing Biden has to make a priority is rooting out such infiltrators within the ranks of the military, law enforcement and the national security apparatus, and more broadly within all of government. The problem, of course, is how far can and should he go in invading peoples’ privacy by monitoring their private comms and activities, and at what point is someone’s subscribing to certain views a threat and grounds for disciplinary action, termination or legal action? There are 1st, 4th and 14th amendment issues here, along with various political calculations. Merely following QAnon is not a crime, even if it’s going to raise eyebrows and lead to further scrutiny. Even posting comments about a stolen election or how Dems are traitors might not be enough to justify action. Hopefully the lawyers and national security experts figure out a good middle ground between too much leniency and too harsh a crackdown. We don’t want to be destroyed from within by going too far in either direction.

5 Likes

During the W Bush years there was a push by neo-nazi groups to join the military and police forces around the country to receive training for an upcoming civil war. It was an open secret ignored by the MSM and mocked by CONservatives. We are seeing the outcome of this infiltration and it is going to be a dangerous and potentially deadly problem for years to come. Simply shaming people who are immune to shame will not solve this. Start treating them as traitors and arresting them.

2 Likes

Yes, and the Repugs keep throwing hissy fits whenever the FBI starts looking into the militias and other RW nut farms. It happened after OK City, the Bundy ranch, etc.

Well now, it’s time to use the media to characterize them as the terrorists they are. Don’t let the bastards off the hook this time.

7 Likes

I don’t think that Bob is the threat. It’s the Bob who is actually in the unit and believes most all QAnon BS. Or is a sympathetic Trump supporter. Or both. Only he doesn’t talk about it or post crazy shit on on social media.

3 Likes

I’m not discounting the possibility - as our history shows, attempts have come from many directions. I would quibble with the comparison of the two scenarios. They were pissed off at Sadat for what he did. These ijits just seem to want trump to continue in place. How does assassinating Biden accomplish that? Wouldn’t President Harris be even worse for them? Although I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that someone from that group would be willing to shoot themselves in the foot.

I’m not opposed to targeting those checks if they can figure out a way to do it so noone that genuinely needs them would get excluded. I don’t need the money, and I feel that there are enough folks out there that don’t, that we could reduce the impact on the deficit, or (preferably) increase the amount of money going to people who do. My wife and I ended up donating a big chunk of this last round to the food bank of the Rockies.

3 Likes

Damn! That’s right. Boy’s gettin’ downright subtle on us. (And I’m trying to ease back on the morning caffeine intake.)

2 Likes

Can you really disguise the smell of shit and close to 400,000 deaths after four fetid years?

4 Likes

Not so much. Soldiers spend lots of downtime around each other, waiting in line for this or that thing, waiting on an order to move, etc. They talk. Everyone knows who the creepy one is, never changes.

3 Likes

Or ask them what Hannity said last night.

2 Likes

I’d be more concerned with the “lone wolf” and the sour grapes types personally. Many more of them out there unfortunately.

6 Likes

Judging from the videos I’ve seen, many of the Q crowd would be readily identifiable by their weight, age and swagger.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available