FBI To Vet National Guard Troops Due To Fear Of Insider Attack At Inauguration

It was a fire at a homeless encampment, I guess.

4 Likes

Or Benizir Bhutto or Yizhak Rabin.

3 Likes

If Trump can motivate thousands of citizens to successfully breach and ransack the Capitol building, he’s capable of serving as the motivation, impetus and tipping point for at least a few members of the military to go off the reservation and stage an assassination. It only takes 1-2-3 heavily armed soldiers within 20-30 yards of Biden to pull it off.

1 Like

I’d be curious as to what Theo van Gogh might have to say too.

AlbumStrangeDays

@carolson too again!

3 Likes

I think for Biden’s entire term he will have to treat the entire planet as suspects in an assassination plot. Is there a reason to think otherwise?

3 Likes

Nothing new here.

10 Likes

Trump off Twitter is now trying out “Dumpster Fireside Chats”/s

3 Likes

That was my thinking too. They’re not going to be doing any new primary research into the soldiers - they’re just going to double check their existing files to screen out anybody who has had anything that would look like a red flag in hindsight.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, January 17th (yesterday), the purported “first major day of the second wave” of “Make Donald Trump President for Life,” went by without even a peep.

My guess is that people who had “ideas” of storming state capitols and the inauguration, have been dissuaded by constant images and videos on TeeVee, showing the first wave of morons being arrested and charged with federal crimes, and pleading for their lives and livelihoods and pardons.

Oh, and 25,000 National Guard Troops. Turns out insurrections aren’t quite as much fun when you’re getting shot AT.

11 Likes

how in the hell you vet 25,000 people

I think trawling through their social media would be a good start.

Granted, that would let the people who think “do I really want to leave a digital trail of this” out, but it gets the ones with a low threshold to violence weeded out very quickly.

Telecom records for every cellphone that had it’s sim connect to the Capital cells during the insurrection.

Again, the people who carried burners will be filtered out, but this batch is highly suspect.

You can pull out the unstable and non-thoughtful insurrectionists or would be assassins very quickly. The more methodical and cautious ones are always going to be harder.

Plus side. I imaging getting pulled from this duty because you failed the vetting will not look good at the next promotion cycle.

1 Like

Oh hell, everybody knows everything about everyone at this point, and it’s just a matter of going and looking. When you give people weapons and train them in their use you would be remiss not to go looking into what kind of people they were. I’m sure when you sign up there’s a battery of tests, and observation all along. The real vetting is probably going to be on people who’ve maybe been no trouble but don’t fit any known category.

8 Likes

That’s comforting. Law enforcement and the intelligence agencies rarely overlook or ignore red flags.

Seems legit.

1 Like

I think they’re way ahead of you.

3 Likes

Apparently not far enough ahead, though.

1 Like

And for the rest of us, he would hopefully have his responsibilities taken away and ordered not to come to DC. January 6th changed everything.

1 Like

Hey I didn’t say it was a good system. I just said that’s all they’re going to try to do.

If the U.S. military screened out and discharged every Nazi, skinhead, racist and otherwise psychologically disturbed person from their ranks they’d be left with a force you could fit in most local skating rinks. Somewhere in the 25,000 NatGuard stationed in DC for the inauguration there are at least a dozen that would drill Biden between the eyes given the chance, and no amount of vetting is going to reveal them.

Well, 25,000 National Guard troops, divided by 13,412 special agents, that’s less than two troops per agent. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The attackers seemed to have some pretty vivid fantasies of things going their way, and that steady drumbeat of repercussions was not part of it, nor was the shock and outrage from Sane America. It honestly continues to puzzle me that grown men and women can think such ridiculous, childish thoughts.

12 Likes

What if it is the leaders themselves that are the extremists? The FBI & DOD are doing multi-level screening? That’s not reassuring. McCarthy head of DOD is Trump appointee. He would not make himself available for 45 minutes when Hogan & Sund were calling Pentagon for authorization of NG on the 6th.

Is McCarthy in command of the 25K troops occupying the Capitol?

Only 20% of white males voted for Biden. The NG is 90% male. No amount of screening will halt an insurgency in the ranks.

The way they have made the Capitol a fortress is terrifying, the level of security is ominous.

They just.had “external” threat during inauguration dress rehearsal.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available