FBI To Vet National Guard Troops Due To Fear Of Insider Attack At Inauguration

After a pro-Trump mob laid siege to the Capitol on January 6, 25,000 National Guard troops have flooded into Washington D.C. to ensure that similar violence doesn’t break out at President-Elect Joe Biden’s inauguration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355105
1 Like

the FBI will vet all 25,000 Guard troops

And the Guard will vet FBI agents.

Division of labor.

20 Likes

apples

18 Likes

Well this is horrifyingly sad.

28 Likes

Now vet every single Republican in Congress and their staff.

45 Likes

10:08 AM - January 18, 2021 … Now less than 50 hours away …

26 Likes

Obama’s fault…

7 Likes

Mais oui.

6 Likes

Entirely due to the behavior of the Republican Party. Without McConnell, McCarthy and all the Rest, Trump would have been a sedated, ignored old man

33 Likes

Oh, a bit of prioritization might get straight to the core of the problem!
start rounding up the highly recognizable faces on Capitol building videos & have them interrogated by FBI & Secret Service & local police … acknowledgements will start with a trickle … and soon become a torrent - especially as people start trying to save their own ass!

11 Likes

It hasn’t, but it can happen here.

6 Likes

The mere fact that this is a thing makes me want to ask… NOW can we have a national-level focus on domestic right-wing terrorism? Or do we have to wait another 25 years after the next Timothy McVeigh bombing? Not sure the country will exist by then if we don’t.

28 Likes

I noted a few days ago that I have a niece whose husband is in the guard and could not be more pro Trump. He posts insane things about Biden coming to take away his guns and all of the other silly tropes ad nauseum. He is one of many, I am sure. Can he still do what he is supposed to do? All I can say is that his heart would not be in it but I believe he would follow his orders.

Now to vet the guy giving the orders.

25 Likes

Why did this image just pop up in my head?

13 Likes

It almost did. Some of the necessary factors weren’t in place, but several were. We can’t afford to come this close again.

My first thought is how in the hell you vet 25,000 people. I imagine they don’t want to broadcast what they do but that’s a lot of folks to have a good long sniff at.

21 Likes

You have to think social media stuff is one of the first things they look at. But as far as a new Democratic president taking everyone’s guns, they’ve said it about damn near every one since Johnson and we’ve never had a problem that I know of. If someone’s really nuts I’m sure they say to tone it down or you can’t be in the club any more.

10 Likes

That’s my question too: How the hell do you vet so many people in, um, two days? And, what is the process? Give them a questionnaire? Then again, they might not be smart enough to have wiped their social media posts.

2 Likes

This is the kind of thing that makes people like Graham so repulsive…

• If Graham were mentally ill, it would be a clinical malady he could not control

• If he were a zealot, his faults would be noble but deeply misjudged

But Graham is neither. He is a craven opportunist who would betray at the drop of a hat, for his own ambition

19 Likes

This is a story from Sept. 2020. It gives a very good account of the rise of the Oath Keepers.

11 Likes

Biden should move the inauguration to Guam.

Partly to reduce the security risk, but mainly because noon on January 20 arrives 15 hours sooner.

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available