Fauci Urges Federal Stay-At-Home Order: ‘I Don’t Understand Why That’s Not Happening’

Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci, who serves on the White House Coronavirus Task Force, called on the Trump administration on Thursday to issue a country-wide stay-at-home order to stymie the spread of COVID-19.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1301514

“Earth to Donnie, Earth to Donnie, come in, please!”

4 Likes

The longer Trump waits, the worse it is going to be for this country and him but he just can’t do anything that he hasn’t thought of himself.

10 Likes

Because your boss is an uncaring sociopath and the Kush told Trump that the PPE that he has hoarded will be worth even more shortly…

23 Likes

We need it and need it ASAP. We can see this is working in the states/cities that have implemented stay at home.

3 Likes

This administration put the Pasty-faced Twatwaffle in charge of the fed’s virus response and someone’s wondering why they’re not doing something smart and obvious?

Planet D’oh!

kush

11 Likes

If the country wasn’t being “run” by chicken little whose only concern is the stock market and making money, then it would probably happen.

5 Likes

I have to assume there are myriad laws and statutes regarding the powers of the President vis-a-vis States’ rights, etc. Possibly there are legal inhibitions constraining Trump? Would he be required to declare some sort of de facto martial law? Any Constitutional lawyers out there? Can the President, on his own, order every citizen to remain in their residence, with enumerated exceptions?

1 Like

Steven Miller in one ear-- telling him to play this politically. The crimes have already been committed.
Kushner in the other telling him they are very close to having history’s biggest grift in place.

Donnie fiddles. America burns. On purpose.

20 Likes

Dr. Fauci: “I don’t understand why that’s not happening.”

The rest of us do.

31 Likes

Yeah, Miller is telling him that the urban centers will get smoked and in the process reduce the “colored bacillus” infecting America with the bonus of taking out primarily Democratic voters and like @jw1 said, Kush is setting up a grift for the ages…

BTW, full marks for Twatwaffle…

8 Likes

Actually Dr. Fauci, you’re a very intelligent man and I think you understand perfectly why it hasn’t happened. Unfortunately for us only the fascistgop has the power to make things better by removing the pathogen in the WH and they refuse to even consider it. We’re all stuck in the facistgop’s hell at least until November, if we can survive that long.

15 Likes

China which has very dense cities “only” has had 1/3 of the total cases the US has had so far, and China has a little over 1/2 the deaths the US has had so far. Why is that? Remember when we were all appalled at the infection rate in China? This really is looking worse and worse for the US.

8 Likes

Oh, he does as well.

25 Likes

Given that we’re not doing what’s necessary to achieve the “best case” scenario, I fear that at current mortality rates, 2 - 3 million Americans won’t be here in November.

4 Likes

Re: China, my gut tells me their numbers only reflect who passed through the health care system, in otherwords, if you died at home, you did not count…

I also have no doubt a persons “social score” factored into who got treatment…

9 Likes

Hot spot residents were ordered by the government to stay in their homes. Then thousands of people were hired by the government to go door to do, every day, knock and verify you were following orders. Those volunteers reported to police if anyone failed to respond to a door knock. And there was hell to pay if it was discovered you broke rules.
In this country such a practice would be met with violence. Monitors would be shot through the door, or off the porch, or otherwise assaulted. All at the instigation of OAN and Fox and others. There wouldn’t be enough jails to hold all the people defying the government’s efforts to check the pandemic.

16 Likes

Just saw that until a day ago that France had not counted 800+ people that died in nursing homes with the virus. It will go into the count now. Nothing is being counted or tested the same anywhere.

7 Likes

I don’t think that is the case, it is up to the states to issue these orders. However what it does do, is give cover to governors who are leery of issuing this order, such as DeSantis in Florida.

3 Likes

In all fairness, the systems are getting strained to breaking and getting the best most accurate data is an afterthought…

BTW, the French had a huge jump in deaths (25% increase day-over-day) and I think you just explained it. If we see another 25% jump today, it does not bode well for Les Tricoleres…

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available