Fauci: Taking Comfort In Lower COVID Death Rate Is A ‘False Narrative’ | Talking Points Memo

3 Likes

Well, I’m just glad Fauci isn’t pulling any punches -even directly contradicting Trump when necessary, which is pretty much all the time.

The fact Trump keeps him on despite having a well deserved reputation for brooking no “disloyalty” suggests he needs Fauci around more than Fauci needs him. And the reason is, I think, every thinking person realizes Fauci is the only guy who has your interests at heart in this entire sewage dump of an Administration. The only guy worth listening to regarding this pandemic.

5 Likes

Holy crap! You can say that again. That ad isn’t aimed at voters of any persuasion.They’re clearly just trying to gin up more chaos in the White House.

I like it.

11 Likes

I dream he will publicly resign and say Trump is insane. As it is, Fauci seems to have little impact that isn’t actively undermined by Trump’s antics.

1 Like

And the beautiful thing is he’ll be inclined to believe it because it’s true. It’s an amazingly leaky administration. Remember they had a meeting to talk about the leaking and someone leaked what was said at the meeting? He doesn’t engender loyalty, that’s for damn sure. There’s literally nobody he can trust.

10 Likes

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I just want to chime in here and announce that Florida Man has lost his head over something.

4 Likes

If you go to this site:

you can generate some good graphical information. Click on the United States, deselect “Recovered” and “New Cases” and you will see the slope in the death-trend. If you average the data using the “2-week trend” filter, it does look pretty flat starting around June 19th, so we are definitely in agreement. If you set that filter to “1-day trend”, you’ll observe a reporting bias that has a weekly frequency, likely indicating that people and bureaucracies try to rest on the weekends.

1 Like

It continues to drive me utterly insane how even the most responsible members of the media have spent so little time focusing on Covid complications. So many young people think they can’t get it or are pretty much guaranteed mild symptoms and they just aren’t taking it seriously.

One of my friends who is an RN and has a fairly high profile in one of the local hospital systems had a fourth of July party at his townhouse. He invited 20 people on FB and included a note that folks should feel free to bring whomever. His condo has only a small deck and no yard, so everyone would be packed inside an area that is maybe about 700 sq ft. He encouraged others to bring food and was planning to have a buffet set up and typical July 4th eats. His parties always include plenty of alcohol and usually end in everyone pretty damn tipsy. I laughed when I declined the invitation. This is the perfect set of circumstances for a super spreader event. I am so thoroughly disappointed in him and everyone else who went that I could spit.

14 Likes

An RN, you say. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

reckless nutjob

2 Likes

Yep yep yep. I’ve been especially enjoying the part about needing to make contingency plans. If they’d have ignored President Baby and done that when the convention was still scheduled for Charlotte, they might have been able to pull something out. I hope the folks in Charlotte realize that they dodged a bullet.

5 Likes

Yep! That’s what pisses me off to no end. He’s 35 and probably thinks he’s ten foot tall and bulletproof even though he’s morbidly obese. I just don’t get it.

4 Likes

Hey, I can’t talk, not as a Pennsylvanian anyway. We “reopened” and the daily new infections have steadily risen ever since. It was averaging under 400 statewide for a while, and the latest number is nearly a thousand. All this with essentially no ability to seriously test and track anywhere in the country I’m aware of. People have just given up, a lot of them. It’s insane.

4 Likes

And every day it seems as though the Dallas paper features another nurse or doctor pleading with people to wear masks and be responsible.

As I recall, there was an RN at the first bar that opened up in some state. She later apologized for having been there.

The woman who killed her 17 year old daughter not getting her treated for COVID is an RN.

I am plainly missing something - I don’t get it.

8 Likes

That’s uncommon in the medical world too. Bit of an outlier as far as health habits, your guy.

1 Like

I hate trump
I hate him for a long list of reasons
The list keeps growing.
My country is bleeding internally and externally
It’s like the way covid attacks tiny blood vessels and caused thousands of itty bitty clots that kill people.
Trump thinks there is no problem.
He could care less that 130,000 of his countrymen/women he swore to keep safe lie dead.
He has said he takes no responsibility for a pandemic he could have defended us against.
How anyone can support or vote for this cruel monster is beyond my ability to jnderstand. And I know people who support him. People are dying around me. Literally… next door neighbors… I am not being paranoid. People I know. That I care about. That trump said 99% have nothing happen from covid infection is not based in reality. He thinks it’s the flu and an exceedingly mild flu at that. He might want to ask the president of Brazil how he feels right now. Or his son’s arm candy.
I am disgusted by this sociopathic freak.

6 Likes

Anybody can have mental/emotional issues, and anybody can have fantasy issues when it comes to their “understanding” of science. Don’t get me started on anti-vaxxers, and if there are any here, you sure as hell don’t want to get into a discussion with me on the subject. I hope that is understood, because I will not be gentle and I will likely breach TOS with them. Friggin’ Luddites.

3 Likes

Well they vaccinated the daylights out of my generation and we were the first and I was a willing subject. I didn’t give it any thought - we all had to do it to get into school. I don’t understand what happened. I don’t understand anti-vaxxers. I don’t understand flat earthers, either. I’ve seen the earth’s curve flying back he northern route from England, over Newfoundland. I’ve seen sails disappear over the horizon. I’ve seen the pictures from space. And one reason I’ve gotten to see all those things is because I didn’t get polio or die of small pox or any of the other diseases that used to carry children off on the regular.

Those people need a tour of a 19th century cemetery - see all the children’s graves.

8 Likes

This - the uncaring part - is what drives me insane. This man registered as both unthinking and uncaring the moment he opened his yap to announce his bid for the presidency. His so-called base shrugged and said “So? He’s a bidnissman, who tells it like we wanna hear it.” A whole fucking country has been swirling around the drain ever since. GRRRRRRRRRRR…

4 Likes

I wonder if Fauci is finally fed up and ready to be fired.
Maybe this is a salvo, i.e., saying “false narrative” and waiting for the tweet-illery from Trump and the crickets from the cowering GOP.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available