Fauci: Taking Comfort In Lower COVID Death Rate Is A ‘False Narrative’ | Talking Points Memo

The nation’s top infectious disease expert warned Tuesday against taking comfort in the declining death rate of COVID-19 — just as the President did a few hours earlier.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319139

I seriously don’t know how he continues to do his job in this “Administration.”

13 Likes

Has a Trump prediction been right on anything regarding COVID 19?

6 Likes

Had a friend today start whinging on how six police officers have died in the line of duty and the media isn’t covering it.

Countered with, that may be because they’re focused on the 758 people who have died so far today from the virus. We’re losing citizens at a rapid pace and our leadership insists we will just have to live with it. There’s something wrong with that philosophy.

I’m sure I’ll get lambasted for that, but damn it, it’s true.

19 Likes

I recall a few years ago I investigated police deaths while on duty. Iirc it turned out the the chance of a cop being killed on duty was 3x greater during the Reagan years than Obama years.

17 Likes

He’s probably fairly free to do his day to day job, I’d think. But trying to provide sane leadership in an atmosphere poisoned by Trump’s braying happy-talk nonsense all day every day seems pretty futile. We lost our understanding of what we needed to do, let people congregate with each other too soon, and now a majority of states have rising infection rates that people who understand epidemiology say will be hard to get back under control. I don’t see how Fauci can shout down an entire political party that’s conspiring to politicize and ignore that reality. He’d have to leave that day job to even try, and he doesn’t appear to want to.

18 Likes

Uptick in mortality today and the reporting day is not over yet.

8 Likes

He’d have to resign and get together with some colleagues from the Obama administration and form an epidemiological “Lincoln Project” and promulgate “ads” to counter the GOP/Trump BS about the pandemic.

8 Likes

Most appalling is people refusing to give information about the people around them after a sudden outbreak at a bar or restaurant. What do these jackasses imagine they “win” by not cooperating with investigators trying to do contact tracing?
More American exceptionalism I guess.

11 Likes

The answer is pretty obvious . . . NO!
Compounded by the fact that Trump consistenty LIES!

3 Likes

Flipping a coin would guarantee you’re right half the time. Trump as President has learned how to be wrong ALL the time even doing a coin flip!

5 Likes

O.K…Trump’s the Champion Reality Alterer

The real fun begins when the wheels come off at the GOP ConVention, which, I understand, may not even occur in JAX.

• Missing CongressCritters
  • Missing Delegates
  • Missing staff and functionaries
  • Present Jack and Jill COVID
13 Likes

DeSantis is doing this for an entire state. As you said, what does sequestering this type of normally available epidemiological statistics get them?

7 Likes

And he’d be instantly derided as a disgruntled ex-employee. Would it do any good? I can’t say for sure it would. Only having a new administration would for sure. In the meantime the one we have now is insisting on sending children back to school.

In late 1944, the People’s Army was formed (“Volkssturm”) in anticipation of an Allied invasion. Men of all ages, from 16–60 were conscripted into this army.[18]

Children as young as 8 were reported as having been captured by American troops, with boys aged 12 and under manning artillery units. Girls were also being placed in armed combat, operating anti-aircraft, or flak , guns alongside boys. Children commonly served in auxiliary roles in the Luftwaffe and were known as flakhelfer , from luftwaffenhelfer .[19]

7 Likes

The party tells people the government is broken and they do everything possible to break it. I don’t envy Fauci one bit.

10 Likes

Oh sure, but the “disgruntled employee” epithet is a worn out, almost laughable, cliche where Trump and his lot are concerned.

3 Likes

I don’t think Trump’s base can understand Fauci’s yankee accent and big vocabulary. Plus, he’s short, so not a threat. Finally, Trump likes to have conflicting spokespeople, so long as the ones he agrees with are argumentative with CNN and appear on Fox, and the token one he disagrees with, as a sop to the elite, has a short stature and talks funny.

3 Likes

Esquire article about Jacksonville and the convention:

Killer quote at the end.

9 Likes

I recall as a kid in the 1960s, Joey Scalzo’s dad told me the only requirements to be in the German army in those years was “two balls and a trigger finger”!

2 Likes

To us. As you know.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available