Fauci: Taking Comfort In Lower COVID Death Rate Is A ‘False Narrative’ | Talking Points Memo

He’s 79, but doesn’t look that old at all. I’ve given thought to the proposition that he’s a Hobbit with a magic ring.

14 Likes

We should all age so well. Maybe it’s the ring, I don’t know.

6 Likes

I also recall Joey’s dad talked about sniffing bicycle seats outside the girls dorm. Growing up in Philly was sometimes mysterious to a kid.
:sunglasses:

hahahahahahahaha Now that is going to burn if that completely falls apart and it sure looks as though it is.

5 Likes

Charles Pierce is a national treasure. Glad he survived his “close encounter” with a speeding auto last year!

5 Likes

Doug Jones?? You mean, as in Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL)? That Doug Jones? And Fauci is appearing at an event with that Doug Jones? Hahaha. That’s almost more schadenfreude than I can handle.

7 Likes

Maybe don’t do it. Worth a thought.

3 Likes

OMG speaking of the Lincoln Project, here’s their latest, and it’s got an audience of one they’re so obviously trying to make crazier it’s positively spooky.

14 Likes

Everyone who’s ever been involved with a convention saw this happening the instant he pulled his tantrum and declared it would move. He shot himself in both feet, reloaded, and shot both feet again. ETTD

7 Likes

“It’s a false narrative to take comfort in a lower rate of death,” Fauci said. “There’s so many other things that are very dangerous and bad about this virus, don’t get yourself into false complacency.”

Amen to that. There are so many ways that this disease can leave you maimed for life that counting them will make your head spin. For one, just the micro-clotting is horrible, unless you like ischemia and mini-strokes and damage in just about every organ of your body. This is a maiming disease at just about every location in your body. This disease IS a worst nightmare from both an epidemiologist’s perspective (due to rapid airborne transmission) and a clinician’s perspective (all the damage that can happen just about anywhere). I don’t think I need to describe the permanent scarring of lung tissue.

Stay hunkered, folks.

9 Likes

Just as a mental exercise I’ve been dividing the number of deaths remaining to get to 200,000 by the number of days until Election Eve, November 2nd. I started this two weeks ago, using Johns-Hopkins tallies. First time I did it it took 581 a day to get there. Today it takes 581 to get there. So, the pace of deaths hasn’t changed in the last two weeks.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Well, I’m just glad Fauci isn’t pulling any punches -even directly contradicting Trump when necessary, which is pretty much all the time.

The fact Trump keeps him on despite having a well deserved reputation for brooking no “disloyalty” suggests he needs Fauci around more than Fauci needs him. And the reason is, I think, every thinking person realizes Fauci is the only guy who has your interests at heart in this entire sewage dump of an Administration. The only guy worth listening to regarding this pandemic.

5 Likes

Holy crap! You can say that again. That ad isn’t aimed at voters of any persuasion.They’re clearly just trying to gin up more chaos in the White House.

I like it.

11 Likes

I dream he will publicly resign and say Trump is insane. As it is, Fauci seems to have little impact that isn’t actively undermined by Trump’s antics.

1 Like

And the beautiful thing is he’ll be inclined to believe it because it’s true. It’s an amazingly leaky administration. Remember they had a meeting to talk about the leaking and someone leaked what was said at the meeting? He doesn’t engender loyalty, that’s for damn sure. There’s literally nobody he can trust.

10 Likes

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I just want to chime in here and announce that Florida Man has lost his head over something.

4 Likes

If you go to this site:

you can generate some good graphical information. Click on the United States, deselect “Recovered” and “New Cases” and you will see the slope in the death-trend. If you average the data using the “2-week trend” filter, it does look pretty flat starting around June 19th, so we are definitely in agreement. If you set that filter to “1-day trend”, you’ll observe a reporting bias that has a weekly frequency, likely indicating that people and bureaucracies try to rest on the weekends.

1 Like

It continues to drive me utterly insane how even the most responsible members of the media have spent so little time focusing on Covid complications. So many young people think they can’t get it or are pretty much guaranteed mild symptoms and they just aren’t taking it seriously.

One of my friends who is an RN and has a fairly high profile in one of the local hospital systems had a fourth of July party at his townhouse. He invited 20 people on FB and included a note that folks should feel free to bring whomever. His condo has only a small deck and no yard, so everyone would be packed inside an area that is maybe about 700 sq ft. He encouraged others to bring food and was planning to have a buffet set up and typical July 4th eats. His parties always include plenty of alcohol and usually end in everyone pretty damn tipsy. I laughed when I declined the invitation. This is the perfect set of circumstances for a super spreader event. I am so thoroughly disappointed in him and everyone else who went that I could spit.

14 Likes

An RN, you say. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available