Ex-GOP Rep: Not Many GOPers Would Be ‘In The Search Party’ If Trump Went Missing | Talking Points Memo

[" ‘I understand Republicans want to get away from Donald Trump,’ Comstock said. 'I mean, if Donald Trump disappeared tomorrow, I don’t think you’d have many Republicans in the search party. Maybe a few prosecutors, but not Republicans. So they want to get away from him. But the problem is, he’s not going to go away’ "]

(emphasis added)

That’s legally etched in stone?

7 Likes

Not Many GOPers Would Be ‘In The Search Party’ If Trump Went Missing

Depends. How many of them does he owe money?

10 Likes

Trump and Trumpism and QAnon and FoxNews and Newsmax and OAN and all of the enablers and supporters are a cancer, and like all cancers, they must be removed.

16 Likes

And all these poor beleaguered Republican senators had to do was support his removal via the second impeachment and we’d be rid of the orange baboon. But could they? No. It took a modicum of courage.

19 Likes

Is this a British use of “stash?” I would think that American English speakers would have used “packed” or “stuffed,” instead.

4 Likes

Welp. I wouldn’t be lookin’ fer him.
Swamp’s conceal stuff. And the Okefenokee’s in S. Georgia is deep…

5 Likes

All of them I expect…

5 Likes

When host Chuck Todd pointed to Sen. Bill Cassidy’s (R-LA) argument that an independent commission would have more credibility than a legislative panel formed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Comstock replied that she and Sicknick’s relatives made the same argument in lobbying for the commission to Republican senators.

But dah-ling, that’s exactly why they voted against it. They don’t want an investigation that is both thorough and credible.

19 Likes

If only TFG would grab the wrong woman’s p*ssy in that stand your ground state…

6 Likes

This is how to hide in plain sight.

3 Likes

No one ever wants to be the first to leave the party.

2 Likes

Well, I would be in the search party. :thinking:

1 Like

Trump’s position is far weaker than it appears. Especially judging by the lack of a public presence, as well as what he is not doing, together with the over-the-top defenses mounted in his behalf…almost like a full-court-press.

That is what Trump calls “fighting back”. But “fighting back” implies a real enemy, not the rest of us as phantoms.

14 Likes

The real upshot of Barbara Comstock’s observation is that is that there is a bright yellow streak of cowardice that runs through the entire Republican – or should we say the entire Trump – party.

12 Likes

So did the 2020 Election results. Instead, Republicans are raising money for recounts and audits, and writing (copying) legislation to disenfranchise voters.

Even Brad Raffensperger, Georgia Secretary of State, who only spoke to Trump with the help of a lawyer and a recording device, is backing Georgia’s new voting law and a FOURTH recount of Fulton County ballots. This is a the same SoS that certified the Georgia 2020 results. How does defending your state’s results go hand in glove with backing laws that are supposed to be designed to prevent another stealing of elections?

EDIT: Alabama also passed and enacted a voting law that outlaws curbside voting. I didn’t realize that so much voter fraud was happening in Alabama at the curbside of polling locations. Of course, Alabama’s Secretary of State John Merrill managed to comment on an article that isn’t referencing his own sex scandal, with some bullshit about this law securing the chain of custody for ballots as if poll workers can’t be trusted with walking a ballot from the curb to the ballot box. Gov Ivey had this little gem-

Our freedom of speech is rooted in our ability to vote, and a strong election process is what sets our democracy apart from every other country in the world

She said that while completely ignoring the hatchet job her party is pulling on our ability to vote.

10 Likes

The only people who don’t want criminal actions investigated are criminals.

21 Likes

Courage is fleeting in the Republican Party.

Full speech: McConnell denounces Trump’s conduct after voting to acquit at impeachment trial

ETA: McConnell really lays it all out, what Trump did, the reaction of the crowd to Trump’s words, and yet 2 1/2 months later Congressional Republicans and state Republicans won’t even stand up and refute what Mitch said then. Won’t explain why what was true on 01/06/21, 02/13/21, is not true in May 2021.

11 Likes

The very first thing that your post make me think about was the Berlin Wall that the Germans tore down when it was about time to do it.

7 Likes

Benadick Donnie is not going away because the GOP was the party of Benadick Donnie before he ran.

And, what better person to represent the party with the philosophy of Benadick Donnie than Donnie?

5 Likes

ReTrumplicans had the chance to get him in out during the second impeachment, but declined to take the chance then. A few are getting the message that Trump is toxic and the bane of all of us who would like to continue living in a democracy, but not enough and not quickly enough. He is still a pile of steaming XXX and we have to deal with him non-ambiguously.

So, Rs, help with the convictions, already and get him the Eff out of the political scene and into prison where he belongs. Denounce him in no uncertain terms and start a new mantra - “Trump lost the election, lost the House and Senate for us, and is a wannabe dictator and an international pariah. We don’t want him involved in our politics or any part of our society any more.”

No more vague statements or bothsiderisms. Be plain and be honest for effing once. If no one would go searching for him, then help him get permanently LOST!

9 Likes