Ethics Committee Opens Investigation Into Gaetz, Reed For Sexual Misconduct Allegations

In my case it was pea pods. Bad idea.

Neither are Republicans. It`s in the their DNA.

1 Like

I will when they’re announced. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was fooled by that, too. I tend to skim an article quickly. Reed was mentioned too early to be easily associated with the rest of the text.

1 Like

Is the same true if the photos were taken without their knowledge in a 2-party state?

( possibly theoretical, but I am curious )

Who knows? Certainly not the viewer of the photos, thus no crime to report (my earlier response was to an assertion that other congresscritters would be guilty by association for having seen the photos).

“Guilty by association” in some criminal sense?

That was someone else’s assertion that I was debunking. Also applies to congressional ethics.

Yes, but were they asserting a criminal violation? (I missed the original.)

I think both occurred: that others seeing the photos would be party to a crime, and that seeing the photos and not reporting them (to whom for what?) would be a violation of congressional ethics and thus subject to the weak sanction of the ethics committee.

2 Likes

I suppose that could depend on the conditions under which those others saw any photos. For example, if they somehow paid for the privilege …

What if the photos showed obviously criminal acts in which seven-year-olds were being victimized?

Just thinking aloud here.

1 Like

“He (Reed) was replaced as co-chair of the Problem Solvers Caucus earlier this month.”
… … … …
Welp, Since Mr Reed had a problem it’s probably a good thing he was “replaced”.

1 Like

I am wondering what else that is possibly illegal that has in the past gone on undetected upon the House floor or near the desks in that chamber. And I don’t mean just Gaetz. Has classified material nobody’s supposed to have been shown? Nude photos are minor (but certainly stupid) compared to what I can conjure up.

1 Like

So you’ve met Devin Nunes.

1 Like

Dang, that poor cow of his…

DY2TjL9t_400x400

edit

On further reflection on this general situation it occurs to me that members of the House and Senate in Congress assembled, are supposed to be the “mature and thoughtful” among us Americans. Lately, and especially since trump came along and bolloxed things up mightily, I am not seeing what would pass for even “normal” much less mature and thoughtful. And as a consequence we are not getting the bills passed that we need. We are getting laws that resurrect Jim Crow, cast water as illegal when voting and we are losing our right to vote itself and choose who we would have as our leaders and law makers. Of such are revolutions made.
Were I a citizen of Myanmar and if I were to post the preceding I’d be dead in short order.

2 Likes

Her points are always serious. It’s just that this time, she wrote a column with some mild chuckles to go with the point, instead of her usual laugh-out-loud mockery. It was an excellent choice.

Agreed, but he did say one thing that I wish more people understood:

"In reflection, my personal depiction of this event is irrelevant,” he said. “Simply put, my behavior caused her pain, showed her disrespect and was unprofessional. I was wrong

3 Likes

That’s not the real issue. Were they shown without their explicit consent? If so, it’s an intentional tort and, in some states, a crime. If that ain’t an ethical violation, it’s hard to conceive of what would be.

ETA @occamscoin

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume more, beyond what masty might have done to assert his manhood in the eyes of others. OTOH there is that time he invaded a SCIF, so that suggests a certain disrespect for classified procedures.

1 Like

That is not known to the viewer, and the viewer has no obligation to find out.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available