Ethics Committee Opens Investigation Into Gaetz, Reed For Sexual Misconduct Allegations

The House Ethics Committee announced Friday that it is officially launching investigations into Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Tom Reed (R-NY) for various allegations of sexual misconduct.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369014

Reed was accused of sexual misconduct by a former lobbyist last month

Who the fuck is Reed and why does (presumably) he become the subject of the article halfway through?

9 Likes

[Reed] said that he was struggling with alcoholism at the time, and has since received treatment.

Thatā€™s a serious issue and Iā€™m glad heā€™s dealing with it (if he is).

I just hope he did not give all his undrunk alcohol to Gaetz.

He was replaced as co-chair of the Problem Solvers Caucus earlier this month.

I wish I could make this stuff up.

24 Likes

Because the Ethics Committeeā€™s move is the news here, and the Committee is investigating both Gaetz and Reed.

13 Likes

I just love these Friday afternoon bombshells.

The attorneys all charge bigly for weekend hours.

Would have been better last weekend with Easter rates, but Iā€™m good with thisā€¦

BTW, if this turns into a GQP flogged ā€œwitch-huntā€, does T**** collect royalties?

16 Likes

So introduce the new (in article) name with a mention of his role and relevance.

1 Like

Well, hereā€™s the first paragraph of the article:

The House Ethics Committee announced Friday that it is officially launching investigations into Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Tom Reed (R-NY) for various allegations of sexual misconduct.

Worked for me, as did the headline, but maybe the wording was different when you were reading.

Anyhow, Iā€™m out now.

Have a great evening.

8 Likes

Democrats arenā€™t allowed to investigate Republicans. Itā€™s in the Constitution. Somebody, fetch my golf cart!!!

7 Likes

He was replaced as co-chair of the Problem Solvers Caucus earlier this month.

That just cracks me up.

16 Likes

OK, Matt Gaetz and next Tom Reed.

Now we need to know what other Congressmen got a glimpse of those naked women pictures on Mattā€™s phone!

8 Likes

As cervantes explained, Reed is being investigated for an unrelated harrassment of an adult woman in a bar.

Also, having nudie pics (of non-minors) on your phone is not a crime. Showing them to other adults is not a crime, barring some narrow harrassment scenarios. Seeing those pics and not reporting them (for what?) is not a crime. Even if one or more of the pics was of an underage 17 year old, unless Gaetz actively made the viewer aware of the subjectā€™s age, failing to report that pic is not a crime.

2 Likes

The original headline does reference Reed, but I think the article text was changed. Thank you for your explanation.

3 Likes

Yeah, but does he have evidence that he received treatment? Likeā€¦a bill or an insurance statement? Anyone can say stuff.

3 Likes

Glimpse? Download?

Potato, Po-Tah-Toā€¦

5 Likes

Jeezuz, TPM ā€“ how about a trigger warning for shots like these?!

14 Likes

Ahhhā€¦ What a way to finish the weekā€¦

12 Likes

Caption contest!

Matt confronts his flagging pole problem.

6 Likes

Itā€™s A Small World After All?

8 Likes

I think the Disney theme youā€™re after here is more along the lines ofā€¦

ā€œPirates, ā€˜Adopted Sonsā€™ Named Nestor, and Frightened Children of the Caribbeanā€.

7 Likes

I had to call a plumber once on the 4th of July.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available