Esper Claims Ignorance Of Who Cleared Lafayette Square

Defense Secretary Mark Esper maintained at a committee hearing Thursday that it’s “still unclear” to him who gave the order to clear D.C.’s Lafayette Square of protesters for President Donald Trump’s photo-op in front of St. John’s Church.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319693
1 Like

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley, who was testifying alongside Esper, said that he too had no “personal knowledge” of who gave the order.

This guy should resign right away, he is either a liar or an imbecile. Either way he is completely unqualified for Chairman of the JCOS.

44 Likes

Esper offered that Major General William Walker, commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, may have more insight.

40 Likes

Yeah, I concur.

Which is why I wasn’t getting onboard with that “lets show him lots of love” when he apologized for the photo op. It wasn’t doing the right thing, it was “Shit, that didn’t turn out how I wanted it to”

21 Likes

So much for situational awareness in SECDEF.

32 Likes

The Sgt Schultz defense.

32 Likes

We need more investigators on our side. Cash money says you can find Esper’s sweaty mug pressed up against a teenager weekly.

All that conflict has to go somewhere - dead hobo basement?

You can’t teach Honor. just because you went to certain school and you worked at certain Institution doesn’t mean you are honest and honorable. Trump is making the mask fall off the frauds infesting our military and religious institutions. And yes there are honorable soldiers, Lt. Col. Vindman comes to mind, and he has just been forced out…

17 Likes

Milley: “We live in a world that has squares, and those squares have to be cleared by men with tear gas. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Chairman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the protesters, and you curse law enforcement. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know – that clearing Lafayette Square, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.”

24 Likes

Esper was ignorant as to where he was going with Donnie that day? Esper is ignorant as to who gave the order to clear the square? Ignorance of such matters does not comport with holding the position of Secretary of Defense.

19 Likes

Trump gave the order because he wanted to bust heads. All these people know it. If he didn’t give it directly he gave it in what Cohen calls “code” where he can deny it. We all know it and the people in that room knew it. Any adult with a modicum of knowledge of how human interaction works knows it.

55 Likes

Defense Secretary Mark Esper maintained at a committee hearing Thursday that it’s “still unclear” to him who gave the order to clear D.C.’s Lafayette Square of protesters

Ah yes…the Fog of peaceful protest.

36 Likes

Esper doesn’t deserve the words of Aaron Sorkin…not even the paraphrased words of Aaron.

3 Likes

The Sgt. Schultz routine.

Works everytime.

11 Likes

My thoughts exactly !

1 Like

He needs to resign immediately. Memory loss for someone in his position is unacceptable.

19 Likes

“I’ve never inquired.” I’m afraid of getting my knee caps broken by Trump’s Russian Mafia associates.

23 Likes

Esper does not have to claim ignorance.
Simply suck off Trump proves it.

It continues to amaze me how Trump, Svengali-like, can get seemingly honorable officials to compromise themselves and their honor in order to bow to Trump’s wishes and ego. There is now a pervasive, criminal corruption throughout our government as a result of the malignant influence of Trump and his criminal cohort. This will take years to clean up.

23 Likes

They should have slipped in a question on Russia paying bounties to Taliban milita for dead US soldiers in Afghanistan.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available