Electoral Politics Are A Terrible Prism For Natural Disasters

Originally published at: Electoral Politics Are A Terrible Prism For Natural Disasters

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version. A Flood Of Dumb The storm-ravaged people of southern Appalachia are too busy cleaning up, digging out, and trying to find small moments of normalcy to keep themselves sane to notice much of the national…

1 Like

I remember Chris Christie, during the 2012 presidential campaign, almost making love to Obama for the federal response during Sandy the year before.

ETA:

Beaver, in lieu of cat:

81 Likes

Frist?

Trump: “If I was President, Pete Rose would be alive today. So would Kris Kristofferson and Dikembe Mutombo. Trust me.”

74 Likes

Am I first?

Newsflash to Sheehy – you’re not in the military anymore. Learn to moderate your thoughts.

82 Likes

71 Likes

I would have been almost first if I could have rounded up the kittens.

78 Likes

Exactly 5 weeks until election day! Hey, but who’s counting?

Screenshot_20240930_101645_Chrome

48 Likes

Dumb Ingrates!

89 Likes

Trump is like a petulant child. He will NEVER be more than that. You cannot change the spots on a leopard.

35 Likes

And telling Romney to stay away.

31 Likes

Awww, he lied again.

89 Likes

“Concepts” again.

38 Likes

It’s becoming reflexive for Rs. “I was joking” or some other ‘Why it’s OK I said horrible things’.
All part of The Great American Diminishment brought to us by Donald F’ing Chump.

72 Likes

Trump would have stopped Helene with his magic Sharpie and God, an ally of his had warned him.
God is now on his bad list and will pay for it.

33 Likes

Yeah not every situation can be responded to in the same way. If you’re not mature enough to know your audience, or surroundings, then you’re not mature enough to handle being a US Senator.

71 Likes

As a 20-year Habitat for Humanity volunteer, I have great admiration for Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter. I worked on their Mishawaka, Indiana HFH build a few years ago. I just finished Jimmy’s book, “A Full Life” that he wrote when he was 90. He writes in another of his many books, “An Hour Before Dawn”, about his exposure to arsenic and other horrible chemicals on the farm, and yet he has lived a century! He is smart, honest, empathetic, a hard worker, and in my opinion has distinguished himself the best of any of the US former presidents in my lifetime (I’m 60). As president, he was mocked for asking people to turn their thermostats down to save energy (donning a sweater to show he was doing what he was asking others to do) and was weighed down by the failure of special ops forces’ to retrieve the hostages held by Iran. History has now shown he did his best, while St. Ronnie and his minions actively planned to delay the Iranian hostages’ release for political purposes. He was not a perfect president, but in hindsight, he was one of the best presidents of the past sixty years and a force for good throughout the world. Happy Birthday Jimmy! Thanks for staying alive long enough to vote for our first female president.

134 Likes

I’m 100% sure Trump only ever knew of Rose. And only as a “sucker that got caught”

Trump wouldnt know a Rhodes scholar, Army Captain, Helicopter Pilot, Veteran who declined an offer to teach at West Point if he punched him in the face.

And surely Trump pronounces Dikembe Mutombo as as “Shaq”

50 Likes

Great teachers (like great leaders) have the “gift”. It’s something that can’t be taught in university classes. It’s the art of teaching that makes a teacher relatable and able to connect w kids. Command respect, but able to respect kids at the same time. Tim Walz has the gift. It will be interesting to see how a broken human being like JD, responds to this. Have a feeling that Walz is going to shut JD down tonight.

51 Likes

“Concepts of relief”

25 Likes

DJT: “All Hat, No Cattle!”

14 Likes