Election Truthers Learn A Lesson From ‘Stalin’ As They Look Toward November - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Like a movie villain pausing to explain in detail his evil plan just before lowering the hero into the shark tank, election truthers keep talking and talking about their efforts to make sure they are happy with the results of the 2024 election. The scheme, in short: They want to be the ones counting the votes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482726

Sooner or later, all quotes get attributed to Stalin, Churchill or Mark Twain.

24 Likes

“ “You need to be involved as an election worker on Election Day,” one of the activists behind the document told his fellow conspiracy theorists. “And, if you are going to do that, then go on to your Facebook account and eliminate as much conservative stuff as you possibly can because you will be profiled … They will not hire you.”

GOP rule number one in action: ‘When the truth just won’t do, lie.’

9 Likes

240_F_177710828_snYLJpkRJ0WkXBGPUR9jHugv6AwOsxhb

11 Likes

That was Abraham Lincoln who said that first, right?

26 Likes

It’s very strange to think we are approaching the most monumental election in the history of democracy, all of the slow moving parts of each layer of this moment slowly coming into focus and to think it will all happen in one way or the other on Election Day, 2024. I’m beginning to think the floor on this story has got to collapse way before this day arrives (i e: orange man suffers a major debilitating stroke).

9 Likes

Hey, Stalin did some good things. Hitler, too, though it’s edgy to say so.

3 Likes

Thank you. I said something similar when I read that!

3 Likes

Stalin interrupted his studies in an Orthodox Christian seminary to become a murderous dictator. Does anyone else notice a pattern?

17 Likes

Yup. I have a copy of his email right here!

8 Likes

As they usually must both by predilection and caution – their preferred polices generally require a lot of covering up since they rarely even approach their stated purpose much less reach it – and I suspect Trump is on top of that crowd because they recognize a true Grand Master of the craft, a veritable God of Bullshit with nothing at the core but ego and venom.

Stated another way, as Mark Twain (really) said, “You take the lies out of him, and he’ll shrink to the size of your hat; you take the malice out of him, and he’ll disappear.”

15 Likes

The professional election thieves on their side will focus much more on stealing the upcoming vote legally, at the level of state legislatures and state executive offices. Vote counting that looks like it is going the wrong way will be halted by R legislatures, governors, or Secys of State, under the cover of the idea that they have detected massive fraud on the part of, most likely, local election officials.

Not that the retail level is not also of some importance to them, but largely for its potential to generate plausible excuses for the governor or legislature to seize the ballots and voting machines and halt the counting. If these truther yahoos are allowed into the process as on-the-ground election officials, there will be actual discrepancies sure enough, and of the kind called up on order from their professionals.

If we are to have drama this election, the real drama is most likely to arise between these states that have stopped their counts, and federal courts and/or the joint session either forcing them to turn loose of the ballots and machines, or imposing their own interpretation of who won in what state. Even if SCOTUS were willing to order the counting to continue, under federal control if need be because these states won’t allow their people to count the votes, it’s not clear they have the authority to force governors and state legislatures to do anything. Courts can enjoin lesser courts and lesser officials pretty clearly, but governors and legislatures not at all clearly, or Faubus and Wallace would have been removed from schoolhouse doors by sending injunctions rather than the National Guard or the 101st. The administration would probably have to invoke the Insurrection Act and send in the military

2 Likes

So basically their masturbation fantasies of a stolen election come true with them openly committing election fraud knowing that the people they illegally install will be so grateful none of us will ever have to worry our silly little heads about voting ever again. Great, got it.

2 Likes

Hubby and I have signed up to be election workers this year and will begin on March 19. We all have to do our part in such an important election!

20 Likes

It was Albert Einstein who quoted Abe Lincoln saying, “Sooner or later, all quotes get attributed to Stalin, Churchill or Mark Twain.”

4 Likes
1 Like

Number four of their eight-step guide reads, “If you found the results of the 2020 elections dubious, you’re not alone. We are actively vetting and enrolling election judges to make sure that every vote counts. ‘Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote, do’, -Joseph Stalin.”

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like
2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available