Election Official Has Grim Warning About A Future Of More Big Lies

Well, once the state legislatures in so many midwest and southern states CHANGE the laws, so that the corrupt new election workers are indeed following new corrupt laws, then we’re fucked.

And once the Trump – I mean Roberts – Court determines that state legislatures can appoint Electors in any way they choose, then they can just do away with those pesky and expensive presidential elections, can’t they. Where does the Constitution say the states have to have an election?

4 Likes

The general theme of the removal of the vote from the population is an arresting one.

Upthread I mentioned that this thread deserved hundreds of comments because of that very danger.

We may only get a few more comments on this thread, but I will say that it merits not hundreds, but thousands.

6 Likes

For years now, the New Mexico Secretary of State’s office has posted information on the candidates running for office, which includes how to contact them – phone, emails, addresses. Ideally, these should be the contacts for their campaigns.

They have long excised the contact info for judicial candidates, for obvious reasons. Now, they are looking into doing the same for candidates for Secretary of State and even County Clerk.

2 Likes

They may have lost the battle, but they’ve won the war. The guerilla war, that is, that’s gone on for over 150 years and is flaring up hot again.

3 Likes

I think the GOP, once the majority is regained, will be uninterested in ever giving up power. They are clearly uninterested in continuing with representative democracy and majority rule.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s assumed that, at a certain point, all the voting, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth in the world won’t be able to remove Republicans from office any more, even if they can’t win elections. They’ve build the tree house. Now they’re climbing in and hoping they can pull up the ladder.

3 Likes

Except, given the general intelligence level of the MAGA troops, I’d say it’s verging on a gorilla war. Actually, scratch that – I think gorillas are much nicer and brighter than most of these specimens. Just imagine giving someone who’s just observing for the state a box of things to taunt them about going to jail. What a nice crowd.

2 Likes

Why should they care about regulatory power? Put some stooge in charge of a Potemkin agency, make sure the plutocrats get their vig (especially tfg, who’s pissed Putin is the world’s richest man), and let Congress ban abortion. Putin, if he’s still in power, will look on with envy.

I can’t tell is s/he’s being snarky OR if s/he is a Susan Sarandon Democrat.

Let’s hear it for the dialectic, Susan.

1 Like

I am glad you clarified. I feared you were a Susan Sarandon devotee; she said Trump and HRC were equal. Don’t vote because IF Trump were elected it would clear out the sclerotic veins of democracy.

I have not watched another movie of hers since.

Funny that.

In the future, /s is helpful to those of us who lack the irony gene.

2 Likes

So, it’s time for a second reconstruction.

2 Likes

HAS Susan Sarandon made any political statements since the 2016 election?

2 Likes

We have three chainsaws, all Stihl, ever hear of the Sahara forest?

That one is a great joke!

1 Like

I agree that we have them. But we haven’t used them for decades, so I’m not sure anyone is quaking in their boots at the prospect.

I think it means California can secede.

2 Likes

This ^^^

I have always wondered, and often said, that I can’t believe how we as a nation time and again allow the states which enact policies leading to the absolute worst outcomes on nearly any issue set the agenda for federal policy.

The answer is Republicans, of course, but it still stuns me.

2 Likes

You know, this propensity for extra-legal manipulation of elections by republicans started, in a big way, in the successful attempt by republican operatives to derail the Florida recount in 2000. That gave us George W. Bush - a disaster as a president. It has only gotten worse since then. Now this kind of manipulation has become the core electoral strategy of the republican party. I suppose cheating is the only way to win when your platform is full of hate and positions that are fundamentally in opposition to the best interests of the American people.

8 Likes

Demcracy is on life support because the Dems don’t have a clue how to reign this thing in. In this day and age, how is it that we don’t have the ability to track down these low lifes that are threatening our election officials? I would appreciate an explanation. The perps need to be discovered, charged, revealed, arrested, tried. And I’m also wondering, has free speech become a liability to democracies around the world? Discussion of this would be useful…and let’s ratify the ERA.

1 Like

We’re up here in the PNW where Dems still hold sway.

I so feel for my old friends back in Texas.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available