Election Official Has Grim Warning About A Future Of More Big Lies

As midnight approached on November 3, 2020, Ken Matta was sitting in a Phoenix conference room with Arizona’s secretary of state. And he was feeling pretty good.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1415659
1 Like

Thanks Obama! Why did Dems let this happen, and what is Biden doing about it?

Trump and his minions are sick creatures. Gargoyles running around society shitting on everything.

Thank you to this election worker and all of his honest colleagues.

23 Likes

Great story, Matt. Thanks for sharing.

42 Likes

It is impossible to understate or “under warn” about the coming disaster of 2024. This is state succession/Civil War level collapse. The idea that any single one of the various Secretaries of State would deny the 2022 election and/or threaten to not follow the rules and law for 2024 presidential election (not to mention others) is beyond a mere threat or something to be shrugged off as “that person can’t possibly win for that post” is not whistling but shrieking past the graveyard.

25 Likes

Coming Corporate-Press Narrative:

“Whether it’s the wholesale replacement of professional election workers by Trump fanatics who vow to throw every race to the GOP, or Democrats peacefully protesting the Supreme Court, both sides are destroying America’s confidence in public institutions.”

59 Likes

Fluent Tucker-speak at its finest(?).

6 Likes

How did Obama or Dems let this happen?

12 Likes

That was snark.

20 Likes

Together with this TPM piece and Heather Cox Richardson’s latest offering (5th Circuit nullifying SEC), it seems like the country may have something like a serious, perhaps fatal, autoimmune disease: we’re eating ourselves alive.

22 Likes

Not to mention that if a president is not declared, we have Putin to think about, among others.

8 Likes

But it’s oh so true!

2 Likes

So, reading Heather’s part about the non-regulation decisions makes me wonder: How will the GOP feel when the executive branch loses the regulatory power when there’s a Republican president? I guess it’s assumed that the Democrats will never win Congress again.

15 Likes

Yeah, that’s their goal!

10 Likes

As a poll worker and observer of elections, I can attest to the fact that the professional staff in our county feel under threat. Many are considering retiring. As the French king said “Apres moi, le deluge”

20 Likes

There are many reasons for our current situation, but we must remain alert. Vote as though your life depended on it.

14 Likes

It will be perfectly fine if the Republicans delegate power to the Executive Branch, provided a Republican is heading the Executive Branch.

3 Likes

A co-worker of mine who also is an election worker had decided not to do it anymore for those exact same reasons. And he’s been doing it for decades and had seen his share of high drama, but now, it’s literally life and death. I do not blame him (or anyone else) at all.

15 Likes

Executive agencies include the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, Justice, and Treasury. The Supreme Court, with its penchant for logically consistent decisions, will explain that all agencies are equal, but some agencies are more equal than others.

15 Likes

I haven’t the foggiest, but, BTW, we are the Dems, all (most?) of us. And many of us didn’t vote or decided to vote for poseurs and lunatics because it felt good.

12 Likes

Trumpy Iowa governor Kim Reynolds wants A.G. and state auditor who will go along with her schemes…

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available