Election Deniers Now Have More Room To Spread Conspiracy Theories About Wisconsin’s Election Results

What is and isn’t allowed in election administration in Wisconsin just became more unclear after voters approved a vaguely-worded GOP-backed constitutional amendment that will provide election deniers with more fodder for spreading conspiracy theories in 2024.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485083
1 Like

Wisconsin voters had been on a good run with the Governor and Supreme Court – what happened this time? Just a function of low turnout/voter disinterest between “big” elections? Seems pretty harsh to have these enshrined as constitutional amendments.

16 Likes

There has always been debate about the value of voter referenda, and in California they are sometimes gamed effectively (and sometimes very ineffectively) by one party or the other.

What worries me about these is that they seem to be intended to sabotage the system more than change policy. That is, can you trick the voter into nullifying their rights in a democratic system? Like there is now a third party devoted to gumming up the works, so that those with the most money can remake the country as “Saudi America”, or the “United States of Soviet Republics”.

12 Likes

Reminder to all our Republican friends, in Wisconsin and all across the country, that we can’t switch their ballots from Trump to Biden if they don’t vote.

23 Likes

I’m wondering which state will be the first one to pass a law that says only Republicans are allowed to vote. It would not surprise me at all that ALEC or some other group is trying to design a way to do that…with the way the courts have reacted they could easily get away with it for a cycle or two before it’s shut down. Presuming it is of course, there’s no guarantee with the current Supreme Court that they wouldn’t find a way to go along with it, or suggest a way to do the same thing.

Republicans really have given up on democracy at this point, it’s all about winning at any cost and in any way…we’ll see later this year how far they are willing to push that.

4 Likes

Indicative of their confidence in the outcome, seems to me. Biden will have to be ready for the shitstorm these creeps are cooking up. Another reason we need a landslide. These people need to be taken to the church of the democratic.

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

In Wisconsin, legislators can put statewide ballot initiatives in the form of constitutional amendments by a vote of 50%+1 in each legislative chamber. There was discussion about the initiatives in local media but most people just don’t pay attention. The vague wording was not accidental. People read it and think “ok, yeah, I guess it’s a good thing.” Only election officials sounds like that’s the right choice.

What’s scarier is the one coming up in August, a traditionally low turn-out election, that is a blatant power grab by the legislature to further weaken the governor’s office.and get control of federal funds.

In addition, there’s one for November that, once again, seems to be a rewording of existing law - but feeds into the “stop the Democrats from bringing in illegal immigrants to vote!”

From Ballotpedia

Wisconsin 2024 ballot measures

• The legislature also referred two amendments to the August ballot related to requiring the state legislature’s approval before the governor can allocate federal money appropriated to the state and one amendment to the November ballot to add to the state Constitution that only U.S. citizens who are 18 years old or older can vote in federal, state, local, or school elections.
12 Likes

Try little info was given, the amendments were worded very poorly, and there was no campaign to inform voters. People who do know what happened are pretty disappointed, I am one of those…

10 Likes

Well they did re elect a complete moron by the name of Ron Johnson, so there’s a lot of very stupid voters there. Same as everywhere I guess.

7 Likes

Or should it be we will switch your vote from trump to Biden so just don’t bother

1 Like

Election deniers often depend on understaffed elections to give them space to stir up false claims

Wisconsin is understaffing this job, and Wisconsin voters want more? Well, citizens of Wisconsin. Enjoy… I guess.

Heck, I might move there and run. Sounds like Republican politicians there have the cushiest job.

I can ignore problems. I’m good at that. I can even make them worse. I just can’t believe people want to live under that kind of government.

2 Likes

And of course Wisconsin is just one piece of the larger puzzle increasingly coming into view. User xaxnar at DKos links to an NY Times article that actually does what journalism should do, identifying and explaining the role played by multiple dark money organizations supporting Trump/Republican political and legal operations (but since it’s the Times it’s an opinion column rather than above the fold reportage).

In a rare display of unity, more than 100 conservative tax-exempt organizations have joined forces in support of Donald Trump and the MAGA agenda, forming a $2 billion-plus political machine.

Together, these organizations are constructing a detailed postelection agenda, lining up prospective appointees and backing Trump in his legal battles. ...

Not only are these tax-exempt organizations attractive to large contributors who want to keep their role secret; 501(c)(3) groups have an added benefit: Donors can deduct their gifts from their taxable income.

– Thomas B. Edsall, NY Times (April 3, 2024)
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell
13 Likes

An American Town That’s Not Allowed To Vote

Although their homes occasionally flood with raw sewage, [the self-designated white mayor] refused to support the installation of a proper sewage system.

Newbern, Alabama Stopped Holding Elections In 1965—And Won’t Seat a Black Mayor | Balls and Strikes

Don’t let it happen to you. Choose majority rule.
Vote Biden/Harris.

10 Likes

I love that the Party of Law and Order is tilting the table on election credibility, while Der Fuehrer is preparing to stand trial for more fraud, but criminal this time. Why does all of this harken back almost exactly to the fall of the Weimar Republic. I guess I’d better wash and iron my brown shirt, or get a visa to become a refugee in Germany. Or, maybe I’ll just hunker down with my extensive gun collection and just wait for the assholes to come for me!

1 Like

I lay awake most nights, staring at the ceiling and wondering what discobot can do.

7 Likes

Then don’t rent “Ex Machina.”

3 Likes

I yell at my computer because discobot says to ask…

Discobot never responds. He said to ask so I did and got no response
Discobot is like trump. He lies. Then sometimes when I post somethong that contains a link discobot whines that someone else had used that link and did I really wanna do it again? How rude is that.

7 Likes

WTF is Discobot anyway?

1 Like

Electrons acting as a nannybot and enforcing theoretical posting rules in a very whiney sort of way.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available