Eastman Says Feds Seized His Phone Last Week

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’ve actually heard seniors, many of who were there when Social Security was created back in 1935 say that the republicans want to protect SS. Same with Medicare under Johnson in 1965. I always fire back with the obvious “do you realize what party created Social Security and Medicare and what party fought tooth and nail against those programs?” It’s maddening. I have a friend from Finland and she says they don’t have this sort of political ignorance there. It’s a tough hill to climb and it’s getting worse.

3 Likes

The business about “they took the phone before they showed me the warrant” is bogus, and Eastman ought to know that. Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure 41(f)(1)© says that “The officer executing the warrant must give a copy of the warrant and a receipt for the property taken to the person from whom, or from whose premises, the property was taken or leave a copy of the warrant and receipt at the place where the officer took the property.” No suggestion there that the warrant has to precede the seizure, and the fact that it’s lumped together with the receipt strongly suggests that it can happen afterwards, since a “receipt” makes no sense unless something has been received.

6 Likes

Check out my addendum to the original, and feel free to follow up, but I’ll stand by my sentiment, which is “be not dismayed”.

Also, if you’re dealing with folks who remember the creation of Social Security and think the Republicans are or were in favor of it, they may need a memory evaluation.

2 Likes

I think he means, “this isn’t supposed to happen to such fine a fellow as I.”

2 Likes

Totally forgot about the tinfoil beanies.

Because government mind-control, y’know.

3 Likes

Poor baby! I figuratively chuck him under the chin, just like a kitty, finishing with a nose touch. Boop!

How dare they search my phone for evidence of a seditious criminal conspiracy to steal a presidential election. What is this country coming to?

5 Likes
1 Like

TBF: It’s your privacy and mine they don’t care about; their own is a rather different matter.

1 Like

And the pressure rolling of fingertips, for both prints and bio-metric data, firmer and firmer!

1 Like

I just ask the little men with typerwriters and roller skates that live inside my computer to paint everything over with white-out.

2 Likes

No, it’s just that this Eastman guy really, really thinks he’s got a right to privacy under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. I guess he hasn’t yet realized that the Supreme Court just did away with all that substantive due process nonsense. Not my idea of a law professor.

4 Likes

Talking about the fifth amendment, I wish the J6 committee pointed out these guys say “fifth” so often, they don’t bother with the rest of the sentence, “I’m invoking my right under the fifth amendment against self-incrimination”. A pity they didn’t make them say the whole sentence.

1 Like

Poor John Eastman he has every right to feel persecuted, he is being probed by two different groups inside the DOJ, Congress… all that is missing is being audited by the IRS…

1 Like

It was pointed out (on emptywheel, I think) that the search warrant for eastman’s phone was requested by Department of Justice’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG). OIG investigates DOJ employees, not random mooks like eastman. So, their interest in eastman’s communications is likely in support of some other investigation, such as of Clark.

1 Like

Eastman filed his lawsuit in federal court in New Mexico. Eastman’s lawyer, Charles Burnham, wrote that six federal investigators approached Eastman in the state as he left a restaurant where he had dinner with his wife and a friend.
… … … …
Eastman has a friend??!!??

2 Likes

About F-ing time!

1 Like

Was he so arrogant and obtuse that he didn’t think he was in any danger of a subpoena? I sure hope so!

Sleep

Both

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available