Draft Overturning Roe Quotes Infamous Witch Trial Judge With Long-Discredited Ideas On Rape

This article first appeared at ProPublica, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1414526

whose misogyny stood out even in his time.

He looks like a guy who never got laid.

14 Likes

Hale particularly despaired of the changes he saw in young women, writing, “And now the world is altered: young gentlewomen learn to be bold” and “talk loud.”

33 Likes

ummm

14 Likes

Why yes, Justice Trollito did intend to base his opinion on the legal principle that women are chattel property. Surely nobody thought that was an oversight?

51 Likes

Well, to be fair, Samuel Alito’s attitudes, morals, and opinions are locked in the 17th century. /s

20 Likes

When reading any opinion by the U.S. Supreme Court it is always fair to ask if the opinion has more to do with the Constitution or more to do with the justice writing the opinion.

In case the answer is obvious, this opinion is all about Alito and any connection to the U.S. Constitution is merely coincidence.

17 Likes

I guess I don’t know what the final opinion of the SCOTUS on Dobbs is going to say(BTW Roe is gone, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise), but from the draft it’s clear that Samuel Alito is a reactionary and a religious obscurantist of the worse order. Hopefully St Peter calls him home sooner than later.

14 Likes

We can thank Al Gore for sighing at one of GWB’s dumb answers at a debate for Alito being on the SCOTUS…or was it one of the “earth tone” suits he wore that made him unelectable ?

Two gravely important issues in that election :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Yes, they hate us. They really hate us.

28 Likes

I am beyond tired of the modern world being bound to archaic principles dating back to ancient times when the world was thought to be flat and slavery was the accepted norm. The Bronze Age ended thousands of years ago. Time to move forward.

21 Likes

I never heard of Hale until today but am in no ways shocked to learn that Alito refers to his decisions for precedent – for legal and moral justification for his wish to outlaw abortion. Alito is a closet sadist I’ve no doubt. He doesn’t like women either. The two mindsets go hand in glove.
Hale was a product of his time and its beliefs so we can forgive him for having been born into the 17thC when witchcraft was believed to exist. Women were both feared and hated.
Alito does not have Hale’s excuse. That makes him a freak. I joked yesterday about Alito being qualified to preside over the Salem Witch Trials. Now I know he really could and love it, too.

ETA:
My wife tells me that in tomorrow’s NYTimes, Maureen Dowd suggests Alito is a closet case.

41 Likes

Hear! Hear!
It’s like advances in knowledge, medicine, and science mean nothing.

11 Likes

Not only that, he also looks like he never wanted to get laid.

8 Likes

Alito is a devout believer in medievalism, who appears to still harbor rage at the Reformation and everything that has happened since. He would welcome Torquemada to the court.

18 Likes

This decision is based on one principle, and one principle, only: Women are Property.

This is misogyny. There is no legal, moral, ethical, or logical argument opposing legal abortion that does not start with that premise. None. And Justice Alito makes that perfectly clear.

42 Likes

OT

31 Likes

OT, but I wanted to share this as a reply to those who say adoption is an option!

Five years. Yeah.

43 Likes

More from the prolife GOP.

19 Likes

O my god this is great! Thank you for posting it.

10 Likes