Doctors Beg RonJohn To Stop ‘Horsing Around’ With Ivermectin Propaganda | Talking Points Memo

Wisconsin physicians urged Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) during a virtual meeting on Monday to stop promoting ivermectin — the dewormer typically used on horses — as a treatment for COVID-19. It is not.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1386362
1 Like

Fitting comment, considering what a horses ass RonJon is.

27 Likes

Hey! That’s the story I posted this morning!!

17 Likes

We really are back in the Gilded Age. The snake-oil salesmen are back in full force and they have the convenience of never having to leave their own homes now, while having access to millions of willing dupes.

I can’t even imagine the process that led to a dewormer medicine being declared a cure to a viral infection in some circles. There’s just no logical progression that I can see and I’m not a medical expert.

16 Likes

it’s shocking and appalling that any grown person, let alone our elected senator,

Hey Doc, I know you’ve probably been way too busy to pay attention, but it’s showing.

No resident of Wisconsin should be able to say this about Ron Johnson.

7 Likes

Homicidal maniac. What else could Johnson be?

14 Likes

He does resemble that remark

5 Likes

Fuck this guy

6 Likes

Certainly a sociopath who has no compassion for anyone outside his tribe (of one). He shows total disregard for the well-being of others. Though I wonder what he’s recommending to his own family members and how he’s treating himself. Maybe he just is as rock-chewing stupid as he appears.

14 Likes

A friend of my wife has a niece in California who is 38 and very active anti-mask, anti-vaccine. Of course, she caught COVID and has been in the hospital now for over a month, in and out of ICU and on and off ventilators. Last week, after being off the vent for 1 day, she crashed with multi-organ failure. Some friends of hers did a prayer vigil for her over the weekend, and guess what - her kidney function showed mild improvement. This has been hailed as a miracle, even though she is still totally dependent on a ventilator and mostly unresponsive. My wife asked me if I wanted to read all of the raving lunacy currently on Facebook and I told her that might just be more than I could stand. To my knowledge no one is demanding Ivermectin - yet.

This is Salem witch trial level stuff going on here.

27 Likes

It’s not even real snake oil…

11 Likes

There are more horses asses than horses in this world.

15 Likes

I have to imagine snake oil isn’t that cheap to make these days, not being much infrastructure around it. So synthetics is where it’s at.

6 Likes

More of a road apple, I’d suggest.

10 Likes

I think everyone pretty much understands that only organic GMO free snake oil works.

9 Likes

But several months into the Delta wave and the data are clear: over the past month, people living in the most staunchly Republican counties have been three times more likely to die of Covid than those living in Democratic strongholds. While the disease doesn’t make political distinctions, Republican attitudes, conspiracy theories and policy failures have created conditions in which the Delta variant can thrive.

In counties where Donald Trump got fewer than 20 percent of 2020 presidential votes, for instance, there have been, on average, fewer than 5 Covid deaths for every 100,000 people since July 31, 2021 — roughly the start of the latest wave of death corresponding with the Delta variant. In places where he got 80 percent or more of the vote, on the other hand, the death rate is closer to 15 per 100,000. Across all counties there’s effectively a dose-response relationship between Republicanism and Covid mortality: as the share of Republican voters increases in your county, your likelihood of dying from the disease rises as well.

18 Likes

Ivermectin’s anti-viral qualities have been a subject of scientific research for years. As a COVID treatment/preventative, it appears that the quack group “America’s Frontline Doctors” started promoting and selling it a few months ago. Ron Johnson also had a quack testify about in an a committee hearing last December.

16 Likes

I made the mistake of clicking on an NIH Facebook post and the cesspool of ignorance in the comment section ruined what has already been a perfectly shitty day.

10 Likes

GOP Covid policy is killing GOP voters

And the downside would be?

11 Likes

The manufacturer thinks its bunk too.

KENILWORTH, N.J., Feb. 4, 2021 – Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, today affirmed its position regarding use of ivermectin during the COVID-19 pandemic. Company scientists continue to carefully examine the findings of all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 for evidence of efficacy and safety. It is important to note that, to-date, our analysis has identified:

• No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;
  • No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;
  • A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.

We do not believe that the data available support the safety and efficacy of ivermectin beyond the doses and populations indicated in the regulatory agency-approved prescribing information.

16 Likes