'Do Something' Is Not A Plan Or Wise Counsel Or A Way Out

Originally published at: ‘Do Something’ Is Not A Plan Or Wise Counsel Or A Way Out

A special edition of TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version. When I moved to DC to open TPM’s bureau 15 years ago this month, it was a weird time in media, with the digital/new media revolution coming into full swing and TPM being the hot kid on the block. That first year in DC,…

2 Likes

Back door, my ass!

51 Likes

But…we’re here!

11 Likes

Wizards!

3 Likes

Trump has re-emerged from his gilded cocoon! Saner than ever!

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-truth-social-rant-2668708507/

25 Likes

Finally, in exasperation, the best-known journalist in attendance, someone you would recognize, exclaimed: “Well, they have to do SOMETHING!”

1. We must do something.
  2. This is something.
  3. Therefore, we must do this.

H/T “Yes Prime Minister”

53 Likes

I think the Dems have 2 weeks to sort this out. At this point, Pres. Biden should probably hand over the nomination (and better yet, the presidency as well, as some political observers like Josh Marshall and Keith Olbermann have suggested…) to KH: but he probably won’t. If Joe Biden decides to ignore the polls and elite commentary and say, ‘It’s me or bust’, then so be it. But in any case, for the Dems to have to any chance in November, it is crucial to unify around 1 candidate in the next 2 weeks.
(I wrote this yesterday. It looks like Mr. Biden has decided to stay in, no matter what. That is also fine. What we need is certainty more than anything else…).

37 Likes

Yes but, Biden needs to withdraw. That was my impression right after the debate and it hasn’t changed. So, in that sense, Biden needs to do something, and it’s a lot easier than capping a runaway well.

9 Likes

Stay the fucking course or vote for trump.

You decide.

74 Likes

Anybody concerned that global warming might free Tiamat from her icy dominion?

15 Likes

…but while it is often disputed whether money buys happiness, we have yet to discover a way of using happiness to buy money. — Case and Deaton (2007 2020)

11 Likes

In fairness, many have ideas, not mere empty “Do something!” exhortations.

In any case, in place of “Do something!”, one should “Stay open-minded!”, for a few months.

ETA:

“Stay open-minded!” is the new “Do something!”

6 Likes

Speaking of Big Oil.

Just give TFG $1 billion…

In New Mexico -

The influential New Mexico Oil and Gas Association told its supporters that HB 133 was “a radical and dangerous approach designed to strangle the oil and gas industry” and asked them to send their elected representatives a form letter opposing it. If passed, the trade group proclaimed, the bill would “Destroy New Mexico.” The Independent Petroleum Association of New Mexico, which represents small oil companies, called the bill “overzealous.”

What did the NM Dems do?

In the face of such opposition, Democrats removed key provisions. The New Mexico Oil and Gas Association eventually changed its position to neutral, but largely stripped of substance, the bill died on the floor of the House of Representatives.

29 Likes

If Joe stays in, and it looks like he is determined to do so, my anxiety is already rising ahead of the next debate.

12 Likes

Emphasis added.

:100:

28 Likes

It seems to me that you want Biden to withdraw and if staying in the race is his “doing something”, I’d say he’s done something, it’s just not something you want.

63 Likes

An animal picture compatible with Mr. Kurtz’ description of this week’s political journalism?

ETA: I think he gave a nice analysis of one of the factors pushing this ‘moment.’

16 Likes

“We look for stuff to make it go.”

— op ed from The New Pakled Times

11 Likes

I put it to you that Joe has been very clear about his intention which has not (so far) wavered. If there is uncertainty afoot, it’s not Joe who is creating it.

73 Likes

Well said, David. I was working for the big Atlanta-based news net at the time, and I remember that attitude well — best seen in the interview Obama did with Matt Lauer, in which Obama, exasperated as only he could be, said if he could swim down there and cap the leak himself, he would.

The thing about acute uncertainty is that it’s painful while it lasts, but is often forgotten after the decision is made. The impulse is to ACT NOW!, but it’s not always right. Especially when there’s time.

Fred Kaplan had a good piece in Slate pointing out that Biden is hosting NATO later this week. So why should he say anything now and undercut himself?

I’m one who’d rather he hand off the baton — I don’t think there will be another debate, nor do I think Biden will improve — but he has a little time.

29 Likes