DNI Won’t Say If He Discussed Whistleblower Complaint With Trump

Acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire refused to tell the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday whether he’d discussed an explosive whistleblower complaint with President Donald Trump.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1251686

Let me fix that answer for you.

“Yes.”

15 Likes

We can close the thread now.

(Edit: TIL that TPM will delete quote boxes if the quoted post is immediately above. Not a fan of that choice, since TPM’s forums are not threaded and it now appears as if my comment is in a void when it is a specific reference to rickjones.)

3 Likes

Gosh darn I thought he would spill the beans.
He seems like such an honest bloke.

2 Likes

While I will not deny that I am denying the denial, I deny that this denial will have been going to have been denied, if it were, via the denial of procedural steps undertaken or not via the non-denial.

7 Likes

McGuire is literally breathing a big sigh of relief whenever it’s time for Republicans to question him. It’s clear where his loyalties lie in this. He’s desperately trying to escape culpability and is trying to simultaneously claim that the White House didn’t delay providing the complaint to Congress nor did he.

7 Likes

Is this guy who demanded to speak today without restriction from the White House or he’d quit? Or was that the other guy?

4 Likes

He is a 3 star admiral, you only get to that position if you kiss ass, the right way, every single time for decades. Independent minded officers get flushed out the military around O-5.

11 Likes

I love how everyone claims they can’t talk about Trump because of executive privilege, but whenever asked if Trump is actually asserting executive privilege, they say no…:roll_eyes:

11 Likes

So Seamus, that’s a yes?

4 Likes

Acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire refused to tell the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday whether he’d discussed an explosive whistleblower complaint with President Donald Trump.

To avoid saying yes under oath
Sorry pal your inner weasel is showing.
You know you did

4 Likes

“because it would destroy my relationship”

Dude, your job ended this morning. You just haven’t received the tweet yet.

12 Likes
TIL that TPM will delete quote boxes

What is TIL?

1 Like

things i learn

1 Like

This is devastating stuff for the White House and the Republicans. This is why you don’t want “short and focused” hearings, and in fact why doing that would be the most self-defeating move Democrats could possibly make. More here.

4 Likes

Saying he had a conversation is not privileged information, the content of the conversation is…not stating outright that he talked to Trump looks guilty as hell, and makes it likely he was working with the administration on the cover up instead of being forced to do so. He’ll regret that later, the investigation will bring out what he did, especially if they get the whistleblower up there talking about what happened to their complaint.

10 Likes

That is the game they like to play. You can’t challenge their claim of executive privilege if they never actually claim it.

6 Likes

Me too . A lot of times it doesn’t credit who you are replying to . Your comment is left hanging out there with no context

2 Likes

Under normal circumstances conversations between the President and his advisers are completely privileged. Here though there is evidence that the WH conducted a criminal cover-up of the President’s criminal behavior. Since Nancy has announced that this is an impeachment inquiry, I am not sure that the privilege is applicable. It might be but it might not be, particularly if the President recruited the DNI to participate in a criminal coverup.

9 Likes

“Psyche!”

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available