Discussion: WSJ: Mueller Impanels Grand Jury In Federal Russia Probe

Yes, that should scare him to death. His itty bitty twitter fingers are going to get all fired up tomorrow morning about 3:00, and his new Chief of Staff won’t be able to break down the bathroom door and stop him.

3 Likes

I really do feel for that kid. There are a lot of kids in this world who face a tougher life than his, absolutely don’t get me wrong, but he didn’t choose this father and this family.

4 Likes

He can subpoena documents and he can interview witnesses, subject to the statutes that makes it a crime to lie to Feds. But you have to impanel a grand jury to compel testimony.

11 Likes

Yeah, and counsel’s not there to protect you.

3 Likes

Find it difficult to believe that Trump, if questioned, will be able to tell the truth. Any of that crew, really. Wonder what advice they’ll be given by their lawyers.

10 Likes

“Mail your final payment for my services to this address.”

5 Likes

That was fast. (Yay!)

1 Like

So this makes compulsion to testify and refusing to do so a tripwire for the Trumpeters?

Any savvy interrogation asks the interviewee to repeat the story/timeline at least 3 times. No way Tramp holds on to a single story more than once. He’ll trip himself up, no doubt, but I can hear his attorneys saying “asked and answered”.

5 Likes

I dunno. To not shit in their pants when they are testifying?

8 Likes

I thought no counsel allowed in GJ testimony. No?

2 Likes

No representation, unless I’m mistaken. They’re in there alone. Bwhahaha!

13 Likes

Or, you know, the beginning of an orgy of paranoia, double-dealing, mendacity, and backstabbing that would be positively Shakespearean if the characters weren’t so banal and unbelievable.

7 Likes

“… we have no reason to believe that has changed.” Same observational powers as UK_observer. .

5 Likes

Oh, that’s all the better! No way he doesn’t trip over his own lies time and time again. But will the GJ be able to compel him to testify? Will Starr/Clinton be the precedent?

2 Likes

“Ty Cobb, special counsel to the president, said he wasn’t aware that Mr.
Mueller had started using a new grand jury. “Grand jury matters are
typically secret,” Mr. Cobb said. “The White House favors anything that
accelerates the conclusion of his work fairly.…The White House is
committed to fully cooperating with Mr. Mueller.””

Sorry, for some reason this just makes me snicker. A. It tells you how tight Mueller is keeping his ship. B. Ty doesn’t have a lot of ins.

3 Likes

Federal grand juries do not release any information to anyone who is not running the GJ.

The WH will get bupkis.

“Grand jury proceedings have been held in secret since the 1600s. The secrecy rule, adopted from England, has become an integral — some say essential — part of the American criminal justice system. There is no First Amendment right of public access to grand jury proceedings. Participants, except witnesses, are forbidden from disclosing matters related to the grand jury, even after the grand jury’s activities have concluded.
The U.S. Supreme Court in 1979 identified several reasons for maintaining such secrecy. First, without the assurance of confidentiality, many prospective witnesses would hesitate to come forward willingly, knowing that the people against whom they testify would find out about it; second, those who did come forward would be less likely to testify “fully and frankly” because they would be vulnerable to retribution and inducements; third, people about to be indicted might flee, or try to influence individual grand jurors to vote against indictment; and finally, it protects those who are accused, but not indicted, from public scorn. (Douglas Oil v. Petrol Stops Northwest)”

10 Likes

Just curious, what’s the source for the commentary?

Not in a grand jury.

No lawyers allowed.

4 Likes

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available