Discussion: Voter ID State Alabama Closes Drivers License Offices In Many Majority Black Counties

Discussion for article #241266

There should be a massive educational and assistance effort to get people the free state picture ID.

25 Likes

Phase Two: GO!

7 Likes

8 Likes

Republicans aren’t even trying to hide their overt voter suppression tactics anymore.

The racism is appalling, and so are the Republicans.

46 Likes

GOP standard playbook: cut taxes, manufacture a budget crises, cut services to the most vulnerable of society. Bonus points for being able to destroy minority voting rights in the process.

43 Likes

It’s not a defect, it’s a feature.

6 Likes

Republicans fear democracy.

22 Likes

Well…lets set the place on fire. I doubt this matters much. In the South, where I live, Blacks just don’t vote. Black community leaders don’t organize them to. I live in Jacksonville Florida. The city elected a Black conserva-Democart as mayor 4 years ago. Largely on White votes. In the last election his GOP’er opponent ran on a slogan of " A Mayor for all of Jacksonville"…wink wink…as in the White folks.

Now you’d think that would get Blacks to the polls. Nope. They did not vote and the GOP’er won. The Black population in Jax is significant.

Why was Ferguson, a town that is 64 % Black run by Whites? Because Blacks did not vote there. Why was Sanford, near 70 % Black dominated by White leadership? Same thing. Even though the White leadership stuck it to Blacks big time…they did not vote them out. They did not vote at all.

You get the Church buses and take Blacks to where there is a DMV and you mass register. ( Don’t hold your breath ) and send a fucking message to these assholes. You register and you fucking vote. And when the pundits start asking whats going on you say: You pissed me off!

17 Likes

“Before Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley ® signed the voter ID legislation, the ACLU-Alabama said it would have “a disproportionate negative impact on minority voters,” noting that 62 percent of black Alabama residents depend on public transport, compared to 34 percent of whites.”

Right, so here comes THIS happy horseshit:

“When we enacted these laws, the Dems politicized this and played the race card, arguing that two-thirds of minority voters don’t bother to obtain driver’s licenses, instead mooching off our public transportation system, so the ID law would ‘disparately impact’ minorities. We recognize this statistic, which is why when we were forced to figure out which DMVs to close, we had to close the ones in minority counties, because they were doing the least amount of business. Now rhat we have done so, the Dems suddenly want everyone to believe that minority voters bother to get driver’s licenses. These hypocrites want to have their cake and eat it too…all by playing the PC race card!!!”

11 Likes

That’s true—but they also actively oppose democracy whenever possible.

5 Likes

I couldn’t tell from the article, but I think that the State Photo IDs are also issued by the Drivers License Offices, so “assistance” means transporting potential voters to a different county.

7 Likes

Hello. Justice Roberts? Anybody home?

27 Likes

This really is no big deal. For instance, if you live in Selma it’s easy to get a photo ID: it’s just a short walk across the Orval Faubus bridge to the DMV on George Wallace Boulevard.

14 Likes

Until they take it down, you can watch Django Unchained here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorUqFnX_F4&index=53&list=PLF435D6FFBD0302B3

1 Like

I think the balance that the GOP is missing on is if you do the voter ID thing than you also need to help people get them. They seem to just assume that their side mostly has them and go on from there. Ignoring everybody else or saying all they have to do is x. And apparently does not matter if they make that even harder.

1 Like

This makes me sick - nothing is less democratic than suppressing the right to vote. So this is what the Reagan worshippers view as the “shining city on the hill?”

19 Likes

There should. But there will not be.

1 Like

Un. Fucking. Believable.

8 Likes

Easy walk, unless the dogs are out and the fire hoses are on.

8 Likes