Discussion: Trump Signs His First Veto After Congress Rejects His National Emergency

"He praised the Republicans who voted against the bill as “strong, wonderful people.”

12 Likes

The pretend president once again pretends he’s doing something. What a farce.

12 Likes

And just like that, an old dog whistle returns.

19 Likes

Fake, reality show President pretends to be President.

4 Likes

Slurp, slurp, slurp, suck, suck suck, gulp, swallow.

14 Likes

Surprised he isn’t calling for fire hoses too.

9 Likes

Bull Connor is smiling in his grave.

7 Likes

Who talks about another adult that way!? One’s own mother won’t talk that way.

10 Likes

Lets, just for a moment, imagine an override in the House and Senate.
I know I’m dreaming, but just what if?

6 Likes

We all live in hope . . . and cruel to Trump and all his sycophants as well.

7 Likes

Schiff was on Lawrence’s show a few days ago and he was extremely disappointed in Barr. Adam’s got his work cut out for him with Barr.

ETA Given Trump’s baby-like personality, this may be a Barr feint or tap dance. Trumpism is unsustainable…even for a hack like Barr.

9 Likes

When the House receives the veto message, instead of scheduling a veto override vote, it should refuse to accept the message as valid, because the president is mentally incompetent. After ten days it should send the bill that Trump didn’t veto, because he is not competent to do that, to be registered as a federal statute. If Pence and the cabinet object to that, they can replace Trump with a president who isn’t demented who can veto the thing. Trump could sue to have his veto honored by the House, but it seems unlikely that the courts would enjoin the House to do anything, rather than declare that this is a political matter. He’d probably have better luck suing the Office of the National Register to not register the bill as law, but the courts might still decide that it’s a political matter and refuse to take the case.

It goes without saying that it is quite unlikely that the House would do any such thing. The above is what it should do, not what it will do. Our side, for better or worse, doesn’t provoke constitutional crises. We leave that to the Rs. Pence and the cabinet, for example, think nothing of letting a president who obviously is unable to discharge the powers and duties – who mostly doesn’t discharge the powers and duties – continue to have handlers make all of his decisions in his name.

Trump will almost certainly be allowed to go on pretending to make decisions he obviously doesn’t understand until and unless he tries to do something immediately destructive that his handlers can’t keep him from by sending him off to Mar-a-Lago, or by filching a paper from his inbox. That such stratagems usually work is just one of the indicators that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties.

1 Like

eeeewwwwww

4 Likes

Did he give the crayon to someone after he signed the veto?

6 Likes

More like a reach around from Donnie.

4 Likes

It’s good to keep reminding ourselves of this deeply disturbing fact: Somehow, Donald Trump…yes, THAT Donald Trump is president. The very fact that our country is in this state of chaos speaks volumes about how broken something is. Trump is more a symptom than a cause. Something is rotten in America and we damn sure better figure out what it is or it’s lights out.

9 Likes

Good grief. The man is a pitiful pile of worthless goo. He must have zero self-esteem.

9 Likes

Largely because it would be unconstitutional, really stupid, and guaranteed to backfire.

8 Likes

I think he thinks this will somehow magically transform his image.

He’s wrong.

5 Likes

I think I heard the groans from Indiana.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available